Sign in to follow this  

SWing arm bolts stuck without swing arm in.

I finally got the trusty ol' swing arm bolt out so i could grease all the beaings, i thought id check to see if the bolt would slide on through without the swingarm installed.

It apeared that it got stuck directly in the middle of the engine case, there was no rust on the bolt when i pulled it out, so i dont see how there could be rust on the engine stoping the bolt going in. Is it posible for the engine cases to be misaligned, even though it doesnt look like it from the exterior---causing the bolt to get caught up on the edge of the case?

An added procedure to think about when removing the swingarm bolt and it won't come out easily, loosen the engine to frame mounting bolts. The swingarm bolt is a mounting point for the engine too and since the bolt also passes thru the swingarm at that point, loosening the other engine mount points will help if the swingarm/engine point isn't perfectly aligned. When you go to put it back together, install the swingarm and bolt first, then retighten the other engine mounting points.

yes, thanks, i figured that out this mornin. It was in there tight though...

Its the big sucker that goes through the end of the engine case. Also happens to pass through the swingarm... :banghead:

Could someone post a pic highlighting the swingarm bolt?

I am pretty sure i know which one it is.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0345/swingarm/swingarm.cfm

It's part #20 in this picture.

I just reinstalled mine this weekend as part of putting the motor back in the frame. I re-greased all the needle bearings that are inside parts #23, then used a long Q-tip to grease the inside of the other two pivot collars (parts #7), then I packed the dust seal caps (parts #8) with more grease, and finally smeared a thin layer of grease on the swing arm bolt itself before inserting it back through the swingarm/motor and torquing the bolt to spec.

You could say I greased the hell out of that thing. :banghead: