Sign in to follow this  

Athena Big Bore

I got my Athena big bore kit yesterday. Ordered it from Lukes Racing and it arrived quickly. I have a question about valves. I was told that if I am putting in the big bore kit that I should "get the valves strengthened by installing one piece valves and a retainer and shim kit." Is this necessary?

I emailed Lukes Racing about this and their response was that "increasing the bore side will not have an effect on the forces applied to the cam/valve train. The camchain will handle the extra torque no problem."

Just curious what anyone else has to say about this. If I am tearing down the top end I would like to take care of everything at once. Thanks.

its not about forces,its about the amount of time on the valves.having the head off is the time do this is chose.

what year is your bike?miles/hours?

My bike is a 03 with probably 1500 miles on it. Never raced.

Also, if I choose to buy new valves what kind should I get and where from?

Exactly how many valves are there in the DRZ400E? Are there intake and exhaust valves? My igorance is obvious but I have no idea what I'll need to buy. Thanks for the help.

Assuming the bike has low miles, will lapping the new valves suffice or is more required? Thinking of doing this myself over the winter :banghead:

My 03 had less than 1500 miles on it when a valve let go, bronco's had more for sure but same results. Not sure how many miles skydmark's had but it was an older one.

The advice to switch to one piece valves is based on having your head off like burned said. Also if you put money into a big bore etc then it would make sense to not risk it like bronco did and only get 6.2 miles on the new engine before it spit a valve.

I'm running kibblewhite blackdiamond one piece ss valves and megacycle r/d spring kit with ti tops. Had the head assembled by someone that basically does just that for a living.

bronco went with the ferrea valves with the r/d spring kit and had burned do the assembly for him, so he ended up going basically the same route I did.