Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 with xr200r motor

After looking at the costs to significantly increase the power of my son's ttr125 I opted for another route. Honda xr200 motors are plentiful and fairly inexpensive, I can weld and fabricate, sooooooo... we now have a ttr200. It appears to be about 7 lbs heavier but has lots and lots and lots of torque. I applied all the hot rod tricks I know to the xr200 motor (deck the cylinder, port, polish, match, radius, etc) so it runs real strong for a 200cc motor. No amount of mods and $ could ever bring the 125cc motor up to the torque & horse power of this 200 install. It pulls reeeaaally strong at any RPM and any speed. It is a lot of fun rolling up to 200cc to 250cc 4 strokes with our little ttr125 and keeping up with or pulling past them. I honestly can't feel the weight difference between this bike and a stock ttr125.

If you like to weld and fabricate I can post some hints and advice on what to consider when grafting a xr200 motor to a ttr125 frame.

I am good with a torch but not so good with a computer so if someone will give advice on how to post pictures I would be glad to do that too.

This is a fun forum. I have liked reading the posts and really had fun reading the replys.

Release the pigeons and let the games begin.

I would have just ridden the XR all modded. Bigger better handling frame and wheels with more suspension travel.

We were going to get an xr100 because that is the largest bike he could sit on and still have his feet barely touch the ground. I had a nice xr200r at the time but there is no way he could ride that. Five foot tall at age 11 and too short to ride the xr200r.

We found a motorless ttr125 before we found an xr100, both having a low seat height, and got an xr200 rat bike for a motor/carb/electrics donor before we could find a ttr125 motor. As it is, he grew from 5' tall at age 11 to 6' tall at age 13. We have now found a ttr250 basket case.

The ttr250 has a destroyed motor that I am now welding and rebuilding. It has no electrics so we are trying to find parts that will work for that.

The ttr200 is a blast to ride around and is unstoppable but the ttr250 should be the perfect trail/woods/fun bike :banghead: . In the mean time I found an ugly, but mechanically sound, '83 yz490 for him to play around on :banghead: . And play he does. I hope I have not awakened the Throttle Happy Monster.

I will post pictures in the future.

I will post pictures in the future.

sounds like a odd invention :banghead: not a bad idea tho

I want to see those pictures!

I would like to know what particular challenges you had to overcome to get

the XR motor into the TTR. I have an XR100 with a Powroll stroker XR200

motor in it. Still have a big list of little things to get sorted out on it.