Sign in to follow this  

250x or 450x for a guy who hasnt done it for a while

I am new to this site and I have been out of dirt biking for 30 years so I am out of step and re-educating myself in the sport again and the changes in the last 30 years have been overwhelming and I love the changes, I want to go back on to the trails, forests and just plain boot around, I am not afraid of power and do take risks, my problem is which bike, I narrowed it down to the CRF 250X or CRF 450X, im 6"4" 205lbs and am not sure about going big bore, Im also not sure how much I would need the extra power, any input from you guy would be appreciated.

MAN-UP AND GO WITH THE 450.... dont be scared.. it will only go as fast as you twist the throttle, and youll love having the extra power when you need it.. your a big guy... get a big bike... just do it dont think about it just go for it

I own a 250x and like you, was off of bikes for over 20 years. It really does everything I ask of it with no issue at all. My brother bought the 450x and I've had the opportunity to ride each back to back. The 450 pulls like a beast. First gear seems a little too tall for tight technical trails and I have noticed that the power seems to get me into more trouble than it helps. Small, inadvertent throttle inputs lay out torque and thrust that launch you off your line and make containing the bike one of the more important skills to have on that machine. My 250 ( really 270 now) is way more forgiving to ride,

less fatiguing ( because it isn't trying to pull my arms off), and goes every bit as fast as I need to be going in the dirt. The 450 is a blast on open fireroads and sandwashes. It wheelies with just a twist and throws one heck of a roost. It does feel fat though and yes you really do feel the weight when riding. If I had the means, I would own both. If I could only have one..........

I think I would stay with my 250.

Deriki

Just based upon your weight alone I would recommend the 450. It comes sprung for a rider in the 185 + range and the OEM sprains would probably work OK for you. If you go with the 250 you will defiantly need a set of springs.

I know springs alone don,t cost a lot (210 US + fluid) but when you take into account all the things Honda doesn't give you that you will need that cost of springs is much harder to justify after spending 7000 for the bike.

In my opinion you will need the following to make the bike whole as a starting point. Rad guards, skid plate, Jetting kit, and brush guards. Never mind the want to adds or your riding gear. I spent a 1000+ on gear alone, and that's not including my 400 shoe helmet.

Besides you could probably convince your dealer to give you the 450 for near what the 250 costs. I only paid 100 more for my 450.

What type of riding are you going to do? Because if you mainly do trails/forrest then the 250X is the best choice for you. I'm 6'0" 250lbs and my 250 does me well, may sell my 450X and get 250X, the light weight handling just makes riding more fun and less fatiguing.

I was between both bikes also, but the extra weight of the 450X was way more than I wanted to deal with, the 250x is so flickable, I weigh 240 and I did respring my x and I love it. Do a test, climb on a 450X and lean it over about 1/4 to the ground and see how heavy it really is, then imagine that on a steap hill climb, you are tierd and there is a deep rut that grabs your bike, wouldn't you be happier on the 250x? I also considered the 450R, but I really wanted the E-button.

Power wise you can do the big bore if you really feel you need it. I probably still will when the rings go, until then it is fine.

I weigh 200 pounds and the 250X is great for single track and just cruisin' around. It's a fabulous bike right off the show room floor and handles very very well.

If you have nothing to prove, don't need to blow anyone's doors off, just wanna ride, I'd recommend the 250X for you. :banghead:

hey , i am 6'4" and 205 as well. get the 250x. for being out of it a while this is a great little bike to relearn on. you can get outa control and whiskey throttle and it wont kill you. i actually find the suspension OK for our weight, but then again i don't go super fast. only bottom the suspension every now and then. the weight is a tremendous factor. being out of it for a while you WILL fall over A LOT. it gets very fatiguing picking a bike up. i can only imagine the nightmare of picking a 450 up on off camber slope. so i vote 250 for tight stuff. learn it and in a year or so when you a much improved, then go bigger. bill

I'd say it depends on where you will ride. If its mostly trails, single track, fairly tight, you can't go wrong with the 250. If you ride in a fair amount of sand or on wider open stuff (e.g. desert) you probably want the 450. I have a 250, am 190 lbs and pushing 50. I came back into the sport a few years ago on a DRZ 400 and hated the weight and suspension of that bike. I love my 250X. It handles unbelievable and is very confidence inspiring. It goes as fast as I want to go (or need to at my age) and I have no trouble keeping up with guys on much larger bikes (unless its up a long soft hill). You probably can't go wrong with either - so I'd let the terrain rule - lots of hills and wide open - 450 - tighter trails - 250. Enjoy! :banghead:

I weigh 205 and find the 250 R fast enough not sure about the X version, I wanted lightweight and found a used R for cheap! very Happy w/ the power and I have a 125 hp Z1000 440 lbs

In a tight woods single track run do you really think 27 lbs of bike weight is a lot when the people riding it vary by nearly 100 lbs.

Specifically when considering the 250 vs the 450's ability to be managed?

Thankyou all for the input, I had my craw set for the 250X at the moment but I am now seriously taking a good hard look at the 450X, the bike is for trail riding mainly but I dont mind taking some risks, Honda wants good money for the bike and I want to make the right decision

I Race In The 250 Smoker Class With 450 4-strokes And Keep Up Just Fine But I Weigh 165lbs. Wood Riding Your Build Get An Extened Seat Adds 2 Inc,re-spring And Set At Your Weight And Later Way Later After It Feels Mild Go To A 270kit For 500dollars And The Thing Rips Biggest Deal Is The Carb Mods To Get Max Responce.

Test Ride Them Both I Found The 450 Manageable But I Am Not In Need Of That Much Power It Would Not Benefit Me Or My Riding Style.

A couple of years ago I got back into riding after almost 20 years off, with a XR400R, and a 650L. Bought a 450X about a month ago. It's WAY FUN due to the quick, responsive power, scared me a bit the first time out only. As others noted, it will pretty much wheelie on demand in the first three gears, but power is very smooth and controllable. If you are stupid or sloppy with the throttle it COULD get you in trouble. I have had no problems yet but am 53 years old and have refrained from "whiskey throttle", and hope to continue to do so.

I doubt you will have any problems with the weight of the bike at your size, it will probably fit you better than the 250X, might be more reliable too since the bigger motor. If your usual riding is tight singletrack the 250X might be the call, for mixed riding with fireroads, two track and singletrack the 450X is awesome. Spent this afternoon riding fireroads, skid trails, and the occasional singletrack with my 18 year old son- any more fun would have been illegal and/or way too dangerous!

Be careful as your skills come back, and let us know how it goes! :banghead::banghead: