Sign in to follow this  

New Hangtown track

Well, the powers to be have been doing a great job on the Hangtown track. They hauled in a bunch of sand for the Amateur Nations and have been grooming the track really nice. Grading the track and letting it become this naturally rough track that makes you look for different lines. Parking lot is completely new and the viewing is some of the best ever. You can watch 85% of the track for the grandstands. They have been watering the track when the dust comes up, but not over watering. A couple of national ranked riders and local pros were out to give us a great show.

I rode there last Saturday and it was awesome.

Might be going there tomorrow. Either Hangtown or Club Moto.

I put about 45 minutes on his bike and I can tell you that it is awesome. After about 3 laps I was turning faster laps than on my own yz250f. The stock Showa suspension really felt great, although it needs stiffer springs for us heavyweights. It really soaked up the braking bumps better than my yz allowing me to charge farther into the corners. The throttle response was terrific and it has more power than I or most others can use. It was very predictable and super easy to hold the inside lines, which my yz does well also. I would recommend that bike to anyone. :banghead:

Now, I need to get amnesia so I can get back on my yz250f and forget about how good that Honda was.

I live 3 miles from Club Moto and will drive 100 miles out of my way to go somewhere else. I just don't enjoy riding that track. Last time I went about a month ago it was the usual deep rutted corners and over crowded, on the other hand Hangtown was perfect today.

Looks like this thread got hijacked since I'm going to add some Club Moto comments.

I alternately really like, and really dislike the Club. I rode it two weekends ago for the first time in about 4 months and really liked it! The current layout is fun, the long double is great, and the prep was excellent (no wood chips, thank god). But don't expect the soil to be any good after about 11:30AM on a weekend.

I bought the twin piper has a "toy", nice light bike to ride track with, but this bikes power and handling (remember I weight 262lbs with gear on) has got me dreaming about sparkarresters and carving thur the trees. The throttle response and power compare to my 01 Cr 250, but power band is way wider. Because the bike is 50lbs plus lighter than my 450X the power to weight ratio is great. It is impossible to sleep tonight because all I can think of was coming out of this berm rolling on the throttle in 3rd gear and wheeling the rutted out uphill about 75 yards long to the next corner!

That bike sounds sweet. So you think it would make a great trail bike?

WileE1, go buy one, you'll thank me later.

Hell, If I could just get out of this damn house.... :banghead:

The power band is very strong "front wheel in air" from 5,000 rpm to 13,500 rpm. Can roll on the power in 3rd gear and fly, can see yourself ripping up trail 25 in this thing. The handling is unbelievably sharp, take any line you want, it like you just need to think about and the bike has already done it, and NEVER any head shake at all. You guys can ride it any time you want, it is one of those must ride type bikes!

you need some heavy springs. Whats the stiffest stuff they make for that bike? I saw .52 fork springs for the 450 but I don't know if it's the same fork. Probably is. Did you already get springs? If not ,that thing is only gonna get alot better :banghead:

Did the search. According to Race-tech the stock fork springs are .45's and the stock shock is 5.2kg. I did the calculator with you weight and it says forks need to be .49 and shock needs to be 5.84 =basically a 6.0 and they carry those rates both in forks and shock :banghead: I'd like to ride it when you have it sprung. On the race tech site it says the stock shock spring is "right" for a 160lb. guy

kx1984 you are right on about needing bigger springs, but Jason and I rode Hangtown with Jason doing all the TRIPLES with stock springs. The suspension is that good, I'm talking about the end of the day, I have a 5.5kg, 5.7kg, and 5.9kg for the rear, .47, .48, .49s for the front in my garage right now, I think I'm going to go light on this bike, try .47s front with adding 30cc of oil, 5.7kg spring in the rear. The bike is so light and suspension so good that when you bottom you know you did but can't feel it.

At my weight of 215 I didn't have a problem with harsh bottoming, but we set the sag at 95 mm and were left with no free sag, which means we definitely need a stiffer shock spring. The couple times that I bottomed it, it wasn't harsh. The place I felt the need for a stiffer spring was accelerating through the braking bumps in the corners and having the preload set so stiff it was harsh, where the initial part of the stroke should have been softer.