Sign in to follow this  

DID 520 heavy duty chain

I forget if you're not supposed to put a regular chain on an o-ring (stock), or vice versa. But, DID makes good chains, regardless.

I forget if you're not supposed to put a regular chain on an o-ring (stock), or vice versa. But, DID makes good chains, regardless.

:banghead:

I have had good luck with DID chains on some other bikes. Seem to hold up really well. Also, renthal chains are pretty nice too

the renathal chain comes in o ring or non o ring. which one would be better for me?

It pretty much depends on what you ride and how much you are willing to spend. Some one will get me on this if i'm wrong but I think non-oring is better for MX and track, while the o-ring is better for trails.

O-ring chains are heavier and the rubber o-ring cause more drag, robbing horse power and throttle snap, x-ring have less drag, the new t-ring chain that DID has is the lightest, thinnest, least drag chain out. To answer your question is to know your riding habits, I use a sealed chain all the time because I ride trails or practice MX, with those great sprockets you are going to run and "sealed" chain will last a long time.

Depending on what type of riding you do and maintenance habits will determine what chain you need. If you are not interested in taking off the chain at least once a month and soaking it in cleaner, then using a toothbrush to clean it thoroughly you will want to buy a non o-ring chain. The non o-ring are cheap but wont last as long. O, X-ring are expensive but will last longer when maintained. I just purchased an x-ring and sprockets for strictly off road racing. I am somewhat diligent in keeping it clean but will most likely replace it in a year with the sprockets. I may go to a non o-ring next since its probably 100 bucks cheaper. You can buy three for one and still have a good chain. The sprocket wear determines the time to buy a new chain for me. If you beat the hell out of your equipment like I do the cheaper route is probably best. :banghead:

You'll be changing that renthal soon!

On my non-o-ring I haven't cleaned it in a long time. Trick: Apply chain lube, then shoot MudOff (or Maxima SC1 spray over it) and ride. When you get back home to wash, take the pressure washer to it and then apply wd40 right after. Chain comes out looking brand new and stays that way.

-Phill

DID ERT with Ironman Sprocket.