Sign in to follow this  

Forks are leaking again!!!!!!!!! after 3 rides

I was in Colorado a few months ago. My bike fell over and the smooth bottom part of the lower front fork hit a big rock pretty hard. It left a very very small nick in the metal. The fork on that side started to leak. So I took it to the local shop where all the motocrossers have their bikes fixed. They replaced the seals for the front forks. I am sure they did a good job on the seals. Then I addressed the small nick. I have sanded it with 1000 grit sand paper and steel wool until it is smooth. That was last month. 3 rides at the track later and the front fork on that side is leaking again. I am thinking on just replacing the entire fork because something inside may have gotton damaged during the fall. I figure it would be cheaper that throwing $215 at the seal replacement every few months. Can this fork be totally taken apart and rebuilt or should I just buy new forks for the bike? If I should just replace the forks, where would I buy a good aftermarket set? Thank you

What about that works fork coating stuff? Wouldn't that solve your problem and give you whatever advantage they try and sell you on?

Check out ebay. I've seen alot of forks there.

I was in Colorado a few months ago. My bike fell over and the smooth bottom part of the lower front fork hit a big rock pretty hard. It left a very very small nick in the metal. The fork on that side started to leak. So I took it to the local shop where all the motocrossers have their bikes fixed. They replaced the seals for the front forks. I am sure they did a good job on the seals. Then I addressed the small nick. I have sanded it with 1000 grit sand paper and steel wool until it is smooth. That was last month. 3 rides at the track later and the front fork on that side is leaking again. I am thinking on just replacing the entire fork because something inside may have gotton damaged during the fall. I figure it would be cheaper that throwing $215 at the seal replacement every few months. Can this fork be totally taken apart and rebuilt or should I just buy new forks for the bike? If I should just replace the forks, where would I buy a good aftermarket set? Thank you

It shouldn't have gotten damaged in the fall (internally). Try putting grease under the dust wiper. And, if you can, do the seals yourself, you could do them for 50 bucks (oil+ seals).

www.thumperfaq.com has a nice walkthrough on it.

You need to replace the leg. The nick is damaging the seal. I would talk to a few suspension shops to see if any coatings would help. Talk to Enzo and RG3. Maybe WorksConnection and ProCircuit.

$50 for seals and oil? Where are you getting ripped off at! Seals are about $25 and fluid is about $10. If you cost average the price of the tools, maybe $50 each time. But your seals should last longer than 2 rides. My guess is you are tearing the seal over the lip on the fork or you have some damage in the fork legs that you are not inspecting. Also if you dont use a fork seal driver, you can damage the seal and inner bushing. I went 8 months on the OEM seals on my 05 and about the same on my 426 and 450 before they started to weap.

You need to replace the leg. The nick is damaging the seal. I would talk to a few suspension shops to see if any coatings would help. Talk to Enzo and RG3. Maybe WorksConnection and ProCircuit.

$50 for seals and oil? Where are you getting ripped off at! Seals are about $25 and fluid is about $10. If you cost average the price of the tools, maybe $50 each time. But your seals should last longer than 2 rides. My guess is you are tearing the seal over the lip on the fork or you have some damage in the fork legs that you are not inspecting. Also if you dont use a fork seal driver, you can damage the seal and inner bushing. I went 8 months on the OEM seals on my 05 and about the same on my 426 and 450 before they started to weap.

$10 for fluid!? I had these seals for who knows how long on the bike (bought it used). They were different legs, maybe I need to reword that. where are you getting fluid for $10? I made the tools myslef

Torco RFF 5wt. I get it at dealer cost about $7 a bottle. Tried tons of brands and that just works the best.

The problem may be that the shop put to much oil in the fork and the pressure of the fork is too high after the compression is built up. So what you need to do is check the oil level in the fork and if that isnt the problem make sure you always bleed the air compression out of your forks before and after every ride and race! Good Luck

How long would it take a person with average abilities to take one fork off and rebuild it after I have the special tools needed?

I may try to rebuild it. But in the mean time can I just keep adding more oil before each ride??

Sounds like you need to replace the lower fork leg. Not because of internal damage, but because of external damage to the slider. Even though you sanded it down, the nick on the fork leg is tearing the seal as it slides past. You will keep having this problem until you either a) replace the lower fork leg, or :banghead: have a reputable suspension shop fix the lower leg for you. Don't worry about expensive coatings, they won't solve the problem until you get the nicked fork leg fixed.

Getting fork seals replaced should only cost between $60-100 plus seals and oil. $200+ sounds pretty high, you may want to shop around next time.

Help me under stand. If he says he sanded the nick so that it isn't there then how can it still be tearing the fork seal? I can't believe no one has mentioned the obvious. Did you follow the manual in regards to putting your forks back on your bike correctly. If you sanded the nick so that it's smooth and you have new seals I'd try taking the front wheel off and then reassembling it according to the manual. I just changed my front tire rushed to put the wheel on my one seal leaked during a race. I got home...cleaned up the seal. Loosened up all the pinch bolts and axle bolts then retighted them in the order the manual states along with compressing the front forks before tightening the pinch bolts so that it sets correctly and haven't had a problem since. I'd really try that first before buying a whole new fork.

A reputable suspension company can turn the fork tubes. If the damage is too severe the lower fork tube will need to be replaced.

Just because he can't feel the ding after sanding it doesn't mean its not there.

The nick is really really smooth. You can feel it with your finger nail but just barely. If you closed your eyes you would never be able to feel it with your finger, it is that small. You would have to use your finger nail.

I paid $215 for BOTH sides to have redone. They said if one side went the other might be close behind it. So I did both sides. The right side which was the undamaged side is still just fine, no leaks.

I would try to pry down the dust wiper, then slide the corner of a business card up between the leaking seal and the inner fork leg. Once you have the business card in position, then work it all the way around the outside of the inner fork tube. Pull out the card and do it again with a fresh one. You should notice after a few times, you are not getting any more grit coming out onto the card. Then with a rag or paper towel, clean the inside and outside of the dust wiper, then do the same thing to it with the business card. Then spray wd40 on the entire inside fork tube and wipe it down ( must take off the plastic fork protectors first) and especially get the bottom of the tube by the wheel, lots of stuff collects in that area. When the tube is pefectly clean put it all back together. If the fork seal is not actually torn, this will fix your issue at least 85% of the time. A good rule of thumb is always keep your fork tubes real clean, cause the crud that collects can cause your seals to leak.

If the seal is actually torn from a nick, there is nothing you can do except replace the seal.

I would doubt very much that a shop would put too much oil in the forks during a seal change, and even if they did, it probably would not cause the leak.

1hr if you are good and can work without problems.

The job is an easy one, after you have done it once.

What about that works fork coating stuff? Wouldn't that solve your problem and give you whatever advantage they try and sell you on?

I had the same problem. I blew a fork seal pulled the fork off. Since my good friend Eric owns a suspension company (FATMAX Racing) he did the seals for me, along with a revalve and oil change. After about a month the seal was leaking again. So he replaced the fork seals again and found a nick on the brake side in back, most likely from a lay down. He sanded it (with something like 2000 grit) and it hasn't been a problem since. But it's only been a few races. This winter I'm thinking of getting the works coating. I guess it's super-durable and has less stiction than a stock coating.

Here are a couple things I've learned:

1) The '05 YZ's have some problems with the fork seals. Apparently they're not very wide, which reduces stiction but shortens seal life

2) Follow the procedure for putting the fork back on. When you tighten the front axle nut tighten the right fork leg pinch bolts last. If you don't, the fork will bind (won't work smoothly and puts stress on the seals)

3) Stay on those fork bleed screws. I try to do it after every moto, but sometimes I slip and it's every ride. The air pressure in the fork puts a little stress on the seals.