Sign in to follow this  

my clutch broke up top

about 2000 miles on the bike, maybe 120 hours all dirt.

well luckily this happened today on a wide easy trail near a road. The clutch just stopped working and the lever was all funky, hard and easy to pull. I used the adjuster at first but it did no good, it was just broke. I had to disconnect the clutch safety switch to get the bike to start in neutral then run it down hill, jam it in second and ride back to the truck jamming it in and out of gears.

I wonder what is broke? the master cylinder or the hydraulic plunger? I have no idea what I'm talking about......I'll take it to Dan on Monday, let his technician fix it. I'll report back what the problem was

Bob,

It's a hydraulic clutch right? Did you check your fluid?

Thanks!

Tony

yes it's hydraulic. the thing stopped working so suddenly, we thought maybe massive fluid loss, but no there was no leaks that we could see at all. So given it broke so suddenly, I'm sure its not the clutch plates, I think its the master cylinder and mechanism up top like I said. even so I have not tried to investigate the problem here at home as I don't know nothing about this peice of gear and don't want to mess it up, like taking the resivoir top of and introducing air into a perfectly sealed system and causing more work then necessary when I get it to my dealer this week

there is nothing normal about that lever now. I was in the garage and pulling the lever in and having to pull it back out again. It felt like a child's broken toy just before daddy throws it out. :banghead:

Check the fluid. It might be low and have air in the system. Take time when bleeding the system. All of the air will ease out. Also watch the level in the MC as it will drain out quickly. If you remove the Slave Cylinder to check it out DO NOT pull the clutch level. It will probably not hurt it being that yours builds no pressure, but if it was, it would snap apart and break the little "flange?" that holds the C clip in the housing. Although, If you do break it, it is still usuable, you just have to bleed the thing when you remove the slave cylinder next time.