Sign in to follow this  

2005 450exc Front Hub Corosian "Beware"

Thought I'd pass this along.

While performing maintenance on my 450EXC front wheel, I found the beggining stages of corrosion and build up inside the hub, and on the aluminum end caps.

There was a lot of white and grey residue that had began to eat into the hub.

I had to buff and pollish everything with a super soft stainlees steel bristle brush and my handy dremel.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/WileE1/000_0035.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/WileE1/000_0034.jpg

There was quite a bit of moisture on the axel and on the inside the hub when I pulled everything apart. I got the bike new last April and never took the front wheel off. Stupid, considering all the creek crossings and pressure washing I did to the bike since I've had it.

Two things for sure, no more pressure washing, and increase maintenance intervals on other things besides air filter, and oil changes

I do creek crossings and water ruts all winter, but I never pressure wash. I use the hose with and adjustible sprayer and I use simple green every weekend after i rinse and soap off all the heavy dirt and mud.

with simple green, I don't see the need to buy a pressure washer or use one.

I couldn't really see the corrosion you speak of in those pictures...... maybe because I'm color blind

"ILL STOP USING MY PRESSURE WASHER WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS".......... :banghead: Only thing there is to get in all the nooks and crannies............. :banghead:

I had already cleaned everything, when I thought about snapping a couple of shots. :banghead:

But I figured Id show where I found the buildup.

I also broke down the rear wheel and found the same thing, although much less corrosive activity.

I never had this problem with my yz hubs. The hubs were packed much tighter. The KTM hub has a good size pocket between the Axel and bearing sleeve allowing water and moisture to collect. I'll just need to pay closer attention to the hubs.

I would have to say that a goo wet muddy ride at Clear Creek :banghead: "Cant Wait" would deserve a pressure washing. I'll just need to put more effort into maintenance.

This issue is as old as dirt biking, when I had a shop in the 70's I did more rust repair inside engines that use repair, the worst is guys that insist on 50 to 1 mix and syntetic oils in 2 strokes, wash the bike and park it, the hardened bearing surfaces such as rollers in rod bearings, balls in the one main bearing that is not in oil rust within a few days. Chains before O ring was the same deal, the more you wash the shorter the life. wheel, steering head and swing arm bearings are all comonly damaged.

Pressure washer or not all those chasis bearings and the axels themselves need more grease! For those that insist on lean oil mix in two strokes, always start the bike after you wash it, remove the gas line, squirt in some oil and let it run until it smokes. Then it is safe to store it

I agree, no doubt.

I guess if one buys a new bike every year, has or is A mechanic who does a complete tear down after every ride, they have nothing to worry about.

Reality is, I am Lazy when it comes to going through the bike on a regular basis. I need to change that. Especially if I'm going to wash my bike as frequently as I do.

I know I'm not the only one........ :banghead: or maybe I am, either way its worth checking out.

If you have not checked, you might want too.....

This issue is as old as dirt biking, when I had a shop in the 70's I did more rust repair inside engines that use repair, the worst is guys that insist on 50 to 1 mix and syntetic oils in 2 strokes, wash the bike and park it, the hardened bearing surfaces such as rollers in rod bearings, balls in the one main bearing that is not in oil rust within a few days. Chains before O ring was the same deal, the more you wash the shorter the life. wheel, steering head and swing arm bearings are all comonly damaged.

Pressure washer or not all those chasis bearings and the axels themselves need more grease! For those that insist on lean oil mix in two strokes, always start the bike after you wash it, remove the gas line, squirt in some oil and let it run until it smokes. Then it is safe to store it