Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 Stator Power

Does anyone know what the max stator power available is on the KLX-300R? I know the headlight is 30W and I don't use the tailight. I want to make a helmet light using a small 55W Halogen driving light which will load the stator to 85W total. My understanding is the ignition has its own windings.

Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone know what the max stator power available is on the KLX-300R? I know the headlight is 30W and I don't use the tailight. I want to make a helmet light using a small 55W Halogen driving light which will load the stator to 85W total. My understanding is the ignition has its own windings.

Has anyone done this before?

I'm running a Acerbis dual 35w halogen on the front and a small LED rear light.

I tapped into the rear light power and installed a quick connector that powers my 20 watt helmet light and that has worked fine. I'm not sure I would run as high as a 55w but you might be ok...I'm already running over 90w...the 20 watt spot surprisingly lights up the trail pretty good.

Sangair

The service manual doesn't give a rating for the KLX300 alternator. The ignition trigger coil is separate but the CDI unit runs off of the same coils as the lights.

Ride on

Brewster

Unless they changed the nippendenso stator- you won't be okay. That's okay it will just heat, and fuse the wire together into a block of wire with no insulation. I put a rewind lesson together that Brandon hosted on KLX planet with pictures and text. The stock stator is good for about 40 watts. This applies if your stator is like my stock '97 stator. There were two empty stator poles and four half wound stator poles.

Since Planet KLX hosted the photos and text, the invention of the full wave rectifier made it even easier. If you wnat to wind it yourself, it is a day's time cosuming work. Buy a roll of 20 gauge magnet wire for $20-$25. Trail-tec or Baja designs sells the full wave rectifier (FWR) for about $30 and the 3M 2216 epoxy costs about $25. You have enough wire for 2 rewinds and enough epoxy for probably 4-6.

You can wind it in series by using a continous piece of wire from one pole to the next of about 16.5 ft. Alternate the windings for each pole. If you start clockwise, wind the next counter clockwise. This is the only requirement to make it work. Alternating the winding direction and using the same amount of wire on each pole will get you as much as 100 watts using a full wave DC rectifer with a small battery. Cover the windings with epoxy to stop chafing from the external layers moving. Solder one end to the stator output wire and the other end to the other stator output wire. I think they were yellow and white and it does not matter which end you connect as this is a pure AC output. When you feed the stator outputs into the FWR you now have 100% DC power. Now you can run it to a battery, take all your lighting needs from the battery poles and get maximum output from your system.

Even if you want to just run the pure AC system, you will be impressed by the bright headlight- even at idle. It does make a difference.

Interesting reading. I'll have to redraw the circuit to figure out HOW it works. The picture of the stator coil in the KLX service manual is for the euro/asian 250 and looks like it has lots more coils. I don't remember how many generating coils our U.S. KLX's have.

Ride on

Brewster

you can do this but it will not be very powerfull it will be dim the best way is to add a small battery and rectifier and that should solve that. www.batteryspace.com

and you can almost find a rectifier anywhere

you can do this but it will not be very powerfull it will be dim the best way is to add a small battery and rectifier and that should solve that. www.batteryspace.com

and you can almost find a rectifier anywhere

The problem with that is when you are using more power than the generator can put out, the battery is discharging to supply the additional power.

I'd prefer to have the generator be able to handle the load.

Ride on

Brewster

the 20 watt spot surprisingly lights up the trail pretty good.

Sangair

can i ask what set up are you using? I was looking into a batterypack powered trailtech single HID. And you use the spot as opposed to the flood? How does it light up the trails?

Interesting reading. I'll have to redraw the circuit to figure out HOW it works. The picture of the stator coil in the KLX service manual is for the euro/asian 250 and looks like it has lots more coils. I don't remember how many generating coils our U.S. KLX's have.

Ride on

Brewster

Mine had seven poles. Three of them had no wire on them at all. The KTM had wire on all seven poles, I think we added about 1/3 more 20 gauge when I rewound my friend's '01 400 EXC. It was the same stator as my '05 450 EXC. The 450 stator looks just like the KLX stator in terms of diameter and size of poles to accomodate wire.

Another method of measuring current draw I forgot to mention. Put a fuse in-line. My '05 EXC had a 7.5 amp fuse. This was after Dale of Trick Dualsport sent me his kit and wired all seven of the coils in series. I bumped the headlight bulb up from 35/35watt to 45/45watt. The 45w headlight witht eh 5 watt tail light and 35 watt dual-stars kept blowing the 7.5 amp fuse. i bumped up to a 10 amp fuse and likewise bumped my light and master switch up to 25 watt capability. You can use fuses to determine the draw from your system (as long as the wiring can handle it).

Brew, what's the formula for determining watts given 10 amp draw at 12 volts in the system?

Something to think about when figureing the amount of power generated is that some of the power is dissapated in the voltage regulator. It's not all available to the lamps because the regulator limits the voltage level.

Ride on

Brewster

12 v AC unless you use a rectifier. I'm guessing my KLX can easily be putting out 90 watts with the rewind. It powers 75 AC watts easy for the lighting and dual-stars. In fact, all the stators might be AC unless they have a rectifier in the system somewhere.

can i ask what set up are you using? I was looking into a batterypack powered trailtech single HID. And you use the spot as opposed to the flood? How does it light up the trails?

KDXpert,

Sorry for the late response...have been out of touch with the main stream for a few weeks, have been working in the mountains..

Honestly I'm not using any name brand helmet light. I made my own with a 20 watt halogen spot light and some small pvc pipe, slightly crude but does the job. Since my Acerbis front light (70w) does pretty well lighting the trail and the 20 watt spot gives me more direct light off the trail. The 20 watt flood just didn't seem to do enough. I did try a 35w but seemed to put a stain on the electrical system....to add, I tapped into the rear light circuit. Mounted a quick disconnect nylon connector and am using 2 small coiled power cords that reach the helmet light...all these parts are available at Radio Shack for about $15.

Good luck!

Sangair :applause:

I was wondering as too was the original person who started the Thread... What is the Stock Electrical Power Output of the KLX300 (1997).

Every thread I read always starts off with this question but no answer. I am not being negative, I just was wondering if anyone knows the answer. I am very reluctant to touch the stator, and don't want to rewind it.

I want to increase the front headlight up from 30 Watts. I alread put an LED tail light so I know I can bump up the front to about 40 Watts no problem. But I would really like to push it up to 55/60 watts.

I have asked Kawasaki for the answer but they have yet to respond and I don't think they will respond.

Let me know if you know.

I was told once it was about 90 watts. I know for a fact I can use the stock lighting and run a 35W helmet light with no problems or dimming. I did that on my 2004 KLX 300. I think the stock lighting configuration is about 50Watts so I know I was pushing 85Watts.

The stator is oil cooled.. so it should be able to take it. I think when you see major dimming from Idle to running speed... you are overloading it.

My 2cents worth.

Yes I have read this 90 W number in a few places. I guess the only thing to do would be to do it and hope for the best. Total I want to pull out is say 70 watts so I should be ok for this.

Thanks.