Gas Gas 2005 EC450fse Jeckle/Hyde one wire away

This is a short version of what I believe every 2005 GG EC450fse owner or prospective owner should seriously consider (A longer version of all the details of a saga I went through will be posted upon a completion of another controlled sound test):

Disconnect and insulate the MAP1/2 wire (blue/yellow) to the ECU. Just do it. Don't let the US importer's assertion of poor gas mileage if disconnected sway you into running it on the lean program. It is all up-side at least in my experience. Problems I had in the first 500 miles while connected due to scare tactic would, or are, making you cry if you have a copy of this model.

Disconnect the wire and get:

cooler running, end overheating, no glowing red pipe to boil coolant out of the close left radiator, MUCH QUIETER exhaust note (no kidding), end to frying your rear brake hose and master cylinder, much improved low-throttle performance. And in my experience, no change in 30-40mpg before and after disconnect of the magic wire. &%$#@!? Fed Emissions I guess.

Turns an almost-right bike into a just-right bike.

Experimenting with all sort of attempt to fix problems related to the lean-burn program cost me over $500 and waisted a lot of my time. GG NA could have saved me and perhaps a lot of 05 fse owners a lot of grief by admitting the issue off the bat and telling them to just disconnect that sordid wire "for off-road use only".

Alex

Interesting, I also had the glowing header pipe but it went away after break-in. Then when I found out about the lean setting, I called John the tech and he said to disconnect that wire, no secrets there. I'm still not sure about the fuel range yet, I haven't been over 42 miles on a ride yet since I bought the bike in July. Also, I have been very impressed with this bike so far, on the multiple rides I've been on the bike hasn't missed a beat and cheerfully runs everywhere cleanly, I love the way the bike turns and the suspension is very plush.

I have been considering a used version of this bike, so thank you for taking the time to post. Two questions if you could answer would be appreciated:

1) Does lean burn apply to all, or was it new for '05?

2) In what kind of riding are you seeing 30-40mpg?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...