Sign in to follow this  

1st oil change on used bike, filter was backwards

I started servicing the 02 I bought. I found the oil filter with the spring stuck in the side of filter with the seal and it was inserted with the seal toward the inside of the motor. According to the manual and from what I could tell, the part of the filter with the seal is supposed to be pointing out with the spring on the engine side of the filter pushing out on it to help with the seal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not that I think I have the filter in correctly, I'm getting more noise from the top end of my motor. Before the change it was quiet, now it sounds like I'm in need of a valve adjustment. Does that seem possible? or could it be that I'm using Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 and need to use 15W-40? Any help appreciated.

After I started the bike to let it warm up, I watched the oil in the level window go from clean to dirty in a matter of seconds. Dirty oil was swirling with the clean oil until it eventually blended. I cranked the back 5+ times with the drain plug out to remove the oil. DId I miss something or is this normal?

Crap, the seal DOES go to the outside,facing you. The manual warns that if it's not installed properly major damage will result.

Good luck, maybe you bought it from a dealer and will have some recourse, but this is a very bad thing. Put in backwards, the oil is literally nearly shut off from where it needs to go. It's not your type or brand of oil. Damn. Doug

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Whoever had the bike before you screwed up BIG time. :banghead: In short, when the filter was put in backwards the recess for the spring was pointed at the oil pick-up orifice. Provided the orifice was not completely blocked unfiltered oil was circulating throughout the engine. If the oil pick-up orifice was making contact with the inside of the spring recess then your engine was being starved of oil--not a good thing. Now that you have corrected things, the dirty oil you are seeing is also an indicator that the former owner was not meticulous regarding routine maintenance.

My advice at this point is to do a thorough check of all maintenace points beginning with the valves then moving to the clutch and suspension linkage. You will find great information in the manual and on this forum. Once you get her back in top shape, I would change the oil again, just to get out the remainder of the old oil (both tranny & engine sides). Once she is all freshened up, change the oil every 2-3 rides (oil filter can be changed after every 5th ride) and clean the air filter every 1-2 rides. :banghead:

Thanks for the replys. The trans side was actually clean when i drained it so I think I'm okay on that side.

Why do you think the valve train would be noisy now and not before? Can there be apparent noises when the valves need to be adjusted? This sucks a$$!

The valve train probably sounds noisier because your paranoid now. I would go complain to whoever you bought the bike off of and if they wont give you some money back or take the bike back all together Ide b*(ch them out pretty good for self gratification. Make sure you tell them they are an idiot either way.

After that, I might pull the valve cover and check for some scouring and if you feel ambitious check the valve clearance. I personally think that checking the valves is futile because they ussually continue to go out even if you reshim. After that go beat on it. Chances are the oil just flowed around filter as needed like mentioned above.

Best of luck.

Pulled the valve cover and found no scoring on the cam lobes. I went to check the clearance on my valves; I couln't get the feeler gauge in between the valve and the rocker arm on the intake and I was able to get a much larger feeler gauge inbetween the cam and the valve. I'm geussing they need to be adjusted. Yes/No?

I also checked my compression and I'm at 55 psi. The manual says I should be at 65 psi.

The valve train is louder than before, im sure of that.

The valve train will indeed be louder because of the lighter wieght oil. Its not a bad thing, its just a thing.

If you wanted to experiment just to calm the nerves put some 20-50 in there. It'll be noticably quieter.

You really cant check the compression accurately with the decompressor working. You'd really need to disable it and put the thing in 4 or 5th gear and give it a push to get a decent reading. Yes, thats a gigantic pain in the ass. Literally if you try to bump it off and slam your arse down on the sub frame the without the seat!

The valve train will indeed be louder because of the lighter wieght oil. Its not a bad thing, its just a thing.

If you wanted to experiment just to calm the nerves put some 20-50 in there. It'll be noticably quieter.

You really cant check the compression accurately with the decompressor working. You'd really need to disable it and put the thing in 4 or 5th gear and give it a push to get a decent reading. Yes, thats a gigantic pain in the ass. Literally if you try to bump it off and slam your arse down on the sub frame the without the seat!

Don't listen to ShawnMc, he really has no idea what he is talking about

Ya...dont listen to me....listen to Boudy up there...Listen to him...he's a damn genius...🤣

Hey Bri, how fast were you going when you fell off down in Baja? :banghead:

We wont talk about why...🤣

Hey the next time we go out, you need to help me out with my fork clickers. I was never really able to get them set quite as randomly as you do... :banghead:

And remember, dont drink and dial :busted:

Luv ya buddy 🤣

Nope, not at all.

Bottom clicker is compressio right? :banghead:

Only on the left fork🤣

🤣

See ya Saturday for sure!! :banghead:

Speaking of Saturday, how are your neighbors with thumpers being lit up at 2ish in the AM? 🤣

a backwards oil filter does not prevent oil from cycling through the bike it just doesnt clean it

Yep. What he said. The way I understand it, the spring is there to allow the filter to give, in case the filter becomes too clogged to pass enough oil (when installed correctly), thus allowing oil to pass around the filter, and continue lubing the engine. So, I would bet that while your filter was installed backwards, this failsafe feature probably saved your engine. Oil should have passed by the backwards filter, saving the vital parts of the engine. As long as it wasn't ran to death, at an extended period of time, you may have escaped major damage. Put a new filter in the right way and ride it. If you are really worried about it, tear it down and inspect it as others have said. That will be the only way to know for sure.

So I guess the channels machined into the cover that lead into the filter have nothing to do with circulating the oil through the filter? :banghead:

Yeah, it seems that if the filter is backwards the oil w/ circulate, but will not pass through the filter.

I don't have it in front of me, but from recollection it seems like the oil pump delivers the oil through the filter via the cover. The "pressure" side of the system is the cover side....

If the filter is in backwards I don't think the recessed area where the spring normally sits would serve to block the flow, it would just pass around the outside of the filter.

Well wait....now I am confused. I was under the impression that the purpose for the spring was to act as a failsafe guard. In theory, if the filter became clogged enough to restrict oil flow in such a way, then the spring would compress, allowing oil to escape around the filter, thus preventing complete oil stoppage. But, it is apparent that the oil should indeed flow from the engine case oil filter channel, through the outside of the filter, and into the filter, then into the filter cover, and back into the engine. I say this because when cleaning my reuseable oil filter, the particles are only on the outside of the filter, leading me to believe the the oil flows through the filter from out-to-in. So, if this is the correct direction of oil flow, then the filter spring would have no "failsafe" effect on the filter. The spring is pushing the filter in the same direction as the oil pressure is. Hmmm. But, for the original question, I still think oil circulated through your engine during the time the filter was jacked.

The oil would circulate because the passage the clean oil would normally go out would be exposed because the spring would be holding the filter away from it, not infront of it.

The spring is a fail safe kinda, in as much as if you put the thing together incorrectly the only real bad thing is the oil doesnt get filtered, and thats not the end of the world, just not ideal. Honda should have left a centrifugal filter post to the oil pump like the little singles as a secondary measure. Oh well...

The spring was actually sticking out the the inlet on the filter so it was actually pushing the recessed end of the filter toward the inlet cover. With no scoring on the cam lobes, I think I'm okay.