Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R 6 or 8 Paddle?

I am about to get a paddle for my 04 CRF250R and want to know which paddle to go with...100/90-19 6 paddle? Or step it up to the 110/90-19 8 paddle....how will the larger work and fit? Headidng to the dunes Saturday!

Either is ok. I have used both. The 6 slips a little more and feels kind of herky-jerky due to the large spacing between paddles. Almost a rapid on/off/on/off feel.

The 8 paddle also floats on top a little better due to the larger 110 size. The 6 paddle digs in and sinks a bit more. So, all in all, I would recommend the 8.

Make sure your wheel is back far enough that the paddles don't rub the mudflap. If they do, they will chew it up in no time until it is gone. Then the sand will fly right into your shock.

I would get the 6 if I were you. It worked well on mine. You will probably bog a lot with the 110, it's made for 250s/450s.

ive heard by tire experts that the 8 is to big for a 250. u will burn up the engine if u do any big dune riding. it is just to much paddle for the 250. it would be fine for the 450, but it is not made for a 250f.

You'll be fine with an 8. I run a realy worn down 10 paddle that was left over from the 450 days, it works great.

Right on guys...I think I will probably go with the six. I just dont want to have to worry about any other adjustment on the bike. Chain, Sprocket etc. Im hopin with the 6 that should not be an issue

There is absolutely no prob running the 110 8 paddle on a 250F. Even a 125 can pull it no problem if you keep up the momentum and don't lug the engine (riding in the sand is all about momentum anyway). In my experience, it seemed like the herky jerky action of the 6 paddle would be harder on the engine and tranny than the extra traction of the 8. Seemed like all that driveline lash (or snatch as some call it) couldn't be good for the drivetrain.

We do 2 big beach races here each year with 2 weeks of practicing for each. I have a lot of experience running paddles in the sand. As far as having to make changes with the chain length and wheel adjustment, the number of paddles makes no difference. It's all about the height of the paddles. I've seen 6-paddle models that actually had taller paddles than some 8-paddle models.

i am looking at getting a new paddle as well, and how does the six run compared with the 8? i mean, what runs smoother, easier, and better?

cool. is that an 8 paddle then? and how would an 8 paddle compare in the big dunes with the 6 paddle? because that is flat sand what ur riding on and u dont run into the engine wear problem becuase u arent climbing huge dunes (unless u do) because i plan on going up really big and steep dunes out in gordons well and glamis. (if u know what those places are lol).

cool. is that an 8 paddle then? and how would an 8 paddle compare in the big dunes with the 6 paddle? because that is flat sand what ur riding on and u dont run into the engine wear problem becuase u arent climbing huge dunes (unless u do) because i plan on going up really big and steep dunes out in gordons well and glamis. (if u know what those places are lol).

Yes, I am using an 8 there. Yes, it is flat, but it is also crushed-coral beach sand which is wet, heavy, and hard so it bogs the bike very bad but the 8 is still fine. From what I've seen, dune sand is usually very fine, silty, and powdery and does not bog the bike as bad.

that is true, and i take ur word for it ( ur alot more knowledgable on paddles thats for sure) but even though it is fine sand, the dunes are HUGE and steep and im afraid the 8 paddle might ware the engine down from pulling it in high revs going up something for so long.

I went ahead and got the 6 paddle and am going to ride it at some dunes just outside of Vegas on Saturday, I will let you now how it does. Got it mounted last night and it looks pretty skinny so hopefully it performs better than it looks.

The paddle worked great! I am glad that I went with the 6. The bike was runnin pretty well but at the tops of the hills im sure the 8 would have bogged out quite a bit more. I had plenty of power to get anywhere on the dunes. Only bad part was the day warmed up quite a bit so we had to take breaks more and let the bikes cool off.

thank you. that will really help out my desicion. i think im gonna get a 6 first to see how it goes, and if it doesnt work, then ill get an 8.

I've used combinations of 6, 8, and 10 paddles on 125's 250f's, 450f's and 500's... Heres my recommendations...

cr125 - tall scoop 6 paddle (sand pro). You can get more bite by lowering air pressure. 8 paddle would be more fun for wheelies, but it bites too much and easy to bog.

crf250 - low scoop 8 paddle. - remove air to get more bite. 2 bead locks and 0 psi is good for wheelies. The 6 paddle is good for high speed, but not fun for dune riding.

crf450 - big scoop 8 paddle (king) or small scoop 10 (ams). The ams wont tear up the flap, king WILL (That tire expands a lot!) 10 paddle bites a LOT, so your arms will get a workout and the front tire wont spend much time on the ground. change pressure to adjust bite (lower on 8, higher on 10).

KX500 - the 10 paddle is stupid when the power hits - bites way too much. Tall 8 paddle bites enough for wheelies, drag racing, or 10 foot runs to jumps in sand. -

Just my experience- I've bought a lot of sand tires.

-J