Sign in to follow this  

newbie say hello and info required

just joined the forum and thought i'd say hi>>>>

as well as riding a zx9r, i'm just getting into the thumper scene as i've just aquired a 1996 dr650 german model and have a few questions to ask. i will be gratefull for any help you can give.

1. does anybody know the exact model as i'm a bit stumped. it is a 96/97 model and has the gold bottom forks?

2. this is standard appart from plastic tank and hand guards, the bike feels restricted in standard form appart from the higher rev range and was wondering what the best mods are to increase the power, i'm not to worried about getting a louder exhaust just yet but maybe in the future.

3. yes i know i could go through all the threads but there are 90 pages and i'm not able to read all these due to time constraits.

4. if anybody knows any good sites to get parts from i would be grateful or any shops in the uk that is usefull.

thanks for any help you can give me......

:banghead:

open up the air box and jet the carb,,simple and cheap to do,,you will be amazed..i too come from the sportbike scene and went to this due to age and athritis in my hands,,should have done it sooner as i love this bike and what it can do.. check out jesses air box mod and he sells jet kits and the extended fuel screw,,got both for around 80.00

www.kientech.com

Hi Dreadnought!

We've got a '99 German import, and the airbox/dynojet extended fuel screw/K&N air filter is the way to go.

I fitted them just this weekend, and also changed the front sprocket to 14 tooth. Much better right acrosss the rev range. :banghead:

Got all the bits from Jesse - 5 days from Oregon to UK - great!

One last point - if you've got the 'switch' on the left hand side of the carb, then disconnect it. I'm convinced the bike revs out more freely at full throttle as a result.

Good luck!

It's a Throttle Position Switch (TPS) and only operates at full throttle ( check the microswitch operation for yourself) It connects to the CDI and retards the spark, hence less get up and go. Just disconnect it at the loom. Simple. And yes, you lucky riders in the U.S don't have one!