Sign in to follow this  

ok, is my buddy right or wrong?

i have a friend that said in the mid 80's honda made a fourstroke with a reed cage :banghead: but it was only for one year. is he right?

The xr 500r had a power reed valve assembly in the intake port of the cylinder head. The reed valve helps the engine to achieve higher torque in the low to medium engine speed range. On the 4-stroke engine, part of the fuel/air mixture from the carburetor is forced back into the intake port and manifold during low to medium engine speed. This occurs because the fuel/air mixture enters the cylinder at a low velocity and the piston is trying to push it back before the intake valve has closed completely. The reed valve is a one-way valve, It allows the fuel/air mixture to go past the reed valve into the combustion chamber. The reed valve prevents the fuel/air mixture from reversing its flow, thus keeping more of the furl/air mixture in the combustion chamber to be burned. 1979-1982 500cc engines pages 88 and 89 clymer #m339 :banghead:

they used to make an xr500 i believe with a reed cage.. looks like all yall are wrong..lol

I'm not saying your wrong, but please explain if you think you right. Besides, saying you "believe" to be true isn't saying with any credibility that they are all wrong. As I remember all XRs in the 80s had intake straight into the cylinder. Maybe the reed cage had something to do with crankcase pressure and not with intake.

Ha, I was writing when you posted. I just happen to have Clymer manual M339 and ran to the garage to get it, except mine is '79 to '87 and the reed valve explanation is on page86. That is interesting to know.

The xr 500r had a power reed valve assembly in the intake port of the cylinder head. The reed valve helps the engine to achieve higher torque in the low to medium engine speed range. On the 4-stroke engine, part of the fuel/air mixture from the carburetor is forced back into the intake port and manifold during low to medium engine speed. This occurs because the fuel/air mixture enters the cylinder at a low velocity and the piston is trying to push it back before the intake valve has closed completely. The reed valve is a one-way valve, It allows the fuel/air mixture to go past the reed valve into the combustion chamber. The reed valve prevents the fuel/air mixture from reversing its flow, thus keeping more of the furl/air mixture in the combustion chamber to be burned. 1979-1982 500cc engines pages 88 and 89 clymer #m339 :banghead:

Amazing!! :banghead: But the reed valve is different to the cage, right?

They had to use it do to the high amount of valve over lap.

Glad I didn't pipe up with my two cents worth before reading this, I would have looked like a f'ing a'hole. Or atleast removing the foot from my mouth. Some others are doing this as you read this I believe. :banghead: