Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300R jetting

Howdy Burned!

You helped me out a lot on my DRZ 400 jetting problems and now I have a new problem. I have a 05 KLX 300R and just installed an FMF Q series pipe.

The bike is 100% stock except for the pipe. I ride at 2500 to 8000 ft and am in need of jetting advice for this bike. Thanks for the help

Howdy Burned!

You helped me out a lot on my DRZ 400 jetting problems and now I have a new problem. I have a 05 KLX 300R and just installed an FMF Q series pipe.

The bike is 100% stock except for the pipe. I ride at 2500 to 8000 ft and am in need of jetting advice for this bike. Thanks for the help

I'm not Burned, but may be of some help.

More information is needed. Have you removed the top of the air box? Did you just get the Q series muffler or did you also get a new head pipe?

One of the easiest jetting changes would be to get the DynoJet kit for your bike. DynoJet will also give you jetting suggestions to fit your application. The needle they provide is the main contribution to quicker throttle response and mid to upper rpm power.

Ride on

Brewster

personally you might want to steer clear of the dynojet. Here is why. It works great gives a lot of extra power but here is the problem with it. I just recently found out from jerry layton that if you tend to ride with the throttle pinned all the time like me (i have 2 throttle positions on and off) then the needle is tapered waaaay to much and feeds too much gas into the cylinder which in turn washes the oil off the cylinder wall causing excessive piston and cylinder wear.

You should call four stroke works and talk to jerry about getting one of his jet kits. It really cleaned up the throttle respnse on my bike compared to they dyno jet kit.

I just recently found out from jerry layton that if you tend to ride with the throttle pinned all the time like me (i have 2 throttle positions on and off) then the needle is tapered waaaay to much and feeds too much gas into the cylinder which in turn washes the oil off the cylinder wall causing excessive piston and cylinder wear.QUOTE]

Jerry's theory doesn't make sense. The MAIN JET should limit the amount of fuel that can be passed through the carb at WOT. I don't have a DynoJet kit but the guys that do have said that the main jets that DJ puts in their kits are larger than the oem ones. That could be the problem.

Also, seems like the bike would be putting out black smoke at WOT if it were that rich.

Ride on

Brewster

? i dont know it made some sense to me considering what the inside of my cylinder looked like but then again it didnt make complete sense because of the WOT thing.