Sign in to follow this  

Power?

How does the power of a RMZ 450 fair to a Crf450? Do they have comparable hp numbers? Tourque? Top speed of both?

I rode an 05 CRF 450 yesterday right after riding my 05 RMZ 450. The CRF has a bit more hit to the power, you can feel it pull a bit harder than the RMZ. I did have a hard time figuring out what gear to be in on certain jumps on the CRF, I guess I'm so used to the 4 speed on the RMZ. The RMZ turns better than the CRF in my opinion. The CRF is a nice bike, but I'll stick with the RMZ!

When you felt that the crf had more power, do you think it was because of the hit that the crf had and because the rmz's power was so smooth?

I own both and the crf hits harder and the rmz is way smoother so you don't feel the speed gain as much. The rmz is in all reality an easier bike to ride on the track.

I ride a '05 RMZ450 my brother and his best friend both ride '05 CRF450's. The advantages I have seen that I have is that I can take a inside turn faster than they can and I can pull out of the turn faster ( open a slight lead ) as well. If there is a long straight thereafter, they will begin to close the gap half way down and pull even going ino the next turn ( the CRF powerband pulls longer ). I will then take the inside line through the turn again. This continues until one of us makes a mistake. This pattern also ocurrs during holeshots. I will take initial lead but they pull even upon entrance into the first turn. Tell you one thing though, the RMZ has more low end pull ( you can pull 4th gear through some turns with proper clutch work ) and they have to shift much more often ( 5 speed versus 4 ). Bottom line, I think the Zook is a more traditional 4 stroke while if you are a 2 stroke lover/convert, you may want to give the Honda a look. Also I had intially forgot to mention but will now. Per the dyno charts, the Honda has the most HP but the Zook has the most torque. Top speed - FAST for both.

Do you have the stock exhaust on? I have the P.C ti-4 on it and the thing pulls longer than my crf does easily.

Do you have the stock exhaust on? I have the P.C ti-4 on it and the thing pulls longer than my crf does easily.

Still running stock. Just got the bike in september after having not ridden in 15 years. I am currently tinkering with the suspension settings ( I weigh 195 ) and will worry about power improvements/increases next year. What did the pro circuit pipe improve the most ? Bottom, middle or top ?

Still running stock. Just got the bike in september after having not ridden in 15 years. I am currently tinkering with the suspension settings ( I weigh 195 ) and will worry about power improvements/increases next year. What did the pro circuit pipe improve the most ? Bottom, middle or top ?

It made it hit lower and pretty much carry through the whole power band. Gave it a bit more of a crf feel. Still a lot easier to handle compared to the crf. I'm pretty light(135lbs.) so I didn't really need the extra hit but I'm more stupid than I am light so.....

I also just got the RMZ450 2005 and was wondering what to buy. I am so thankful for this web site becuz I am also 35 years old and wanted the easier to handle bike. I also learned from racing many years ago that smooth is always faster than out of control. I too am messing around with the bike. I did the suspension and next is the pipe so any recommends will be appreciated.

Any aftermarket pipe will help the 05 RMZ450. The stock core is smaller than other 450's. I have read somewhere of a 5 horse gain with an FMF Factory 4 system. The FMF Factory 4 system for the CRF450 only made 2 ponies !

I never rode an 05 RM-Z but owned an 05 CRF. I just bought 06 RM-Z and have been testing and setting it up for the last three days. it hits harder and longer than the CRF, and the CRF had WB exhaust, and quick shot. this bike rips. The new stiffer suspension for 06 is pretty stiff, probably will revalve soon.