oil leak @ front sprocket

the loose sprocket is a common problem. The fix is primitive but supposedly effective (I havent done it yet-will this week) glue the sprocket on with red locktite on the splines and the nut. The oil coming out is common on bikes with loose sprockets and, though I havent personally experienced this with the drz, I have with other bikes and it will likely go away once the nut is re-torqued (to about 90lb/ft!!!) and everything is back to the way it's supposed to be.

You'll need an impact screwdriver to remove the seal retainer bracket,

There's a seal, an oring, and a spacer , I'd replace all 3.

to get the spacer off (if stuck). dont try to pull it off, but put bike in gear and rotate the spacer on the shaft, it will break free and come off easier.

if you dont drain oil, you'll have to lay bike over on right side , and the biggy put some loctite on the splines and nut threads, after torquiring make sure in neutral there is no resistance to turning, it should spin very freely.

There is very little oil behind the seal when the motor is not running. No need to drain oil or lay on the side.

When you retightn the C/S nut (50 to 80 ft lb, not 90) check for free rotation of the shaft in neutral.

Make sure the oil isn't coming out of the seal where the clutch arm goes into the gearbox. I had an oil leak here, replaced the C/S seals and it kept leaking. My friend's bike had the same leak - it might be due to over-exuberant use of a jet washer!

Ian

I've never had the issue with my mxers, The cr line is much better built in that reguard, but dont ask why just loctite the splines and nut , or wait till you find it loose.

I didn't really check mine until 9,000 miles it wasn't even finger tight when I removed the lock ring. How long it had been that way I dont know, so far no ill effect and it's never been loose again, I'm over 36,000 miles. I've been through 3 cs sprockets, it's been about 13,000 miles since I last replaced the cs sprocket. This is all mainly street miles

there's pretty much no difference between what works on the sm or the other models in this reguard, they both need it. I tighten mine in the 80 lb range.

• 11 years later...

Im about to change mine out. Didn't even think to check if it might just be loose, but have the parts already. Haven't even checked if my CS is worn either. Anyways i know you need to grease the seal. I cannot find anywhere What type of greas. I have grease that is fortified with moly. Think 3%ish. Is this safe to use or which is best for the rubber CS seal?

You'll need an impact screwdriver to remove the seal retainer bracket,

There's a seal, an oring, and a spacer , I'd replace all 3.

to get the spacer off (if stuck). dont try to pull it off, but put bike in gear and rotate the spacer on the shaft, it will break free and come off easier.

if you dont drain oil, you'll have to lay bike over on right side , and the biggy put some loctite on the splines and nut threads, after torquiring make sure in neutral there is no resistance to turning, it should spin very freely.

my front sprocket was loose and oil was leaking out of the spline is there a gasket inside or is the sprocket the seal?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/540670-counter-shaft-sprocket-loctite-fix/

I tighten mine in the 80 lb range.

Thats the old spec... Suzuki updated that years ago to 105 ftlb

DRZ New Tq specs.jpg

• Like 1