Sign in to follow this  

525 EXC vs 450 EXC

I currently ride an 05 Yamaha WR450 and am considering buying a 06 KTM 525EXC. I have ridden the 450EXC and am not too impressed with the power compaired to the WR. I have not ridden the 525 and am interested in some opinions on the power delivery and amount as compared to the 450. I need a lot of power, and the WR450 makes plenty, and I love the way it continues to make power all the way to its 11000 redline.

Is the 525 more like the WR, or is it just like the 450 only a little more grunt?

Lets try and stay objective here. please :banghead:

I just spent all weekend breaking in my new 06 450 exc, and I just have to say wow. That thing puts out power. I dont know what your talking about, I have ridden both bikes, the WR and EXC and the exc wins hands down for trail riding.

The ergos are so much better. Once it broke in and loosened up, it was a dream to ride. My friend with the WR is so jelous. He is now thinging of going with one. The WR does have its good points, but all around the EXC is just so much more rider friendly.

I just spent all weekend breaking in my new 06 450 exc, and I just have to say wow. That thing puts out power. I dont know what your talking about, I have ridden both bikes, the WR and EXC and the exc wins hands down for trail riding.

The ergos are so much better. Once it broke in and loosened up, it was a dream to ride. My friend with the WR is so jelous. He is now thinging of going with one. The WR does have its good points, but all around the EXC is just so much more rider friendly.

I am not interested in a 450exc evaluation, as I have ridden one several times.

Thanks anyways :banghead:

It depends on what you mean by "power". I traded my YZF for an EXC. In a short drag race, your YZF450 will probably beat either the 525 or 450 EXCs. Both the KTMs have much higher top end due the extra gear. The 525 has a lot of torque compared to either of the 450s. You can lug the 525 in situations that either of the 450s will cut out. Think of the 525 more like a tractor instead of a drag racer. I find that I can chop the gas on steep hills and easily start again without slipping the clutch too much.

There is virtually no difference in weight between the 525 and 450.

ok i have the 05 525 exc and it has a lot more power then the 450 exc. i had a 450 exc and sold it and got the 525 and very happy with it. now the 06 525 has a biger carb on it. but out of the box the bike needs to be rejeted. they are jeted way to lean...go with the 525.

The '06 KTM's have not changed the size of their carbs, however the carbs have been somewhat redesigned. :banghead:

Yeah , Wow! I rode an 05 WR450 and it was no where near as fast or "quick" as my 05 450exc. I don't think that the WR had any of the "free" mods done to it so that could have been the difference. I tend to tap the clutch and get the power when I want it. I did this with the WR aswell as Bobs 510 and ended up thinking that the EXC had more snap than either. As I understand it ,the 525 is supposed to be smoother than the 450. I guess it's all riding style. You will probably never know until you ride each of your choices. Good luck.

back to the post topic. I said all that because the KTM 525 EXC is a long stroke motor like the 450 EXC.......so I suspect it will have a "hit" or snap compared with the Husky TE-510 which has teh displacement but will be more radial in delivery then the 525 exc. I really dont know I still have not rode a 525 exc.

so i have taken up all this space and still leave you looking for a 525 report.

Yes, but I did enjoy the post, just the same, and your objectivity was refreshing :banghead:

Hi Guys:

OK here is an objective response. Sometimes they seem hard to get. I might be more bias if either KTM or Yamaha was paying my salary but, well, maybe they have seen me ride :banghead:

I had and loved my 2001 WR426. The bike was YZ timed, White Bro piped and the suspension work was expertly done by Tech Care. Let me emphatically state that that 5 valve head is magic. Torque was quite good and rev or snap was best in class. The bike was top heavy. The front end tended to wash out while under power in a switchback but she was rock stable in a straight line and got only better with a steering damper. Additionally, the torque valve made for great lugging at slow speeds in 3rd. Performance in the whoops was excellent for a 4 stroke (weight). Most of all I miss the instant acceleration which you will find hard to match.

My new bike is a KTM 525EXC. I am fiddling with the JD jetting but close to spot on. I've added an HT racing pipe and went to 13/50 gearing. Is she more powerful than my WR426.......? Yes, by 15 to 20% more torque. But the bike still revs slower. In a Drag race on level ground my brother's WR400 with the mods noted above, either beats me slightly up to 60 or so or I am even with him. Now we are on dirt and he has a 773 sand tire which is better in MI that the stock Brigstone's on the KTM. His bike has about 25% less torque (my 426 had about 15% less) but is as I said, just as fast. My WR426 beat him by 1/2 to 1 bike length under the same conditions (I'm 65 lbs heavier). The KTM handles much better and is more flickable. Additionally, it is better in the tight woods, in rocks, roots etc. The 525 is worse in big whoops even after set up for my girth (275lbs) with springs and numerous adjustments. I really don't think the link-less rear end is the best answer (except for simplicity and weight reduction). The milage on the KTM is probably about 23 to 25 MPG and my 426 was closer to 30 MPG.

That's my assessment. I have not ridden a KTM450. But I did have a KTM 550 MXC so I'm at least qualified to discuss power :banghead:

no knock on the WRF, but the KTM 450 riders who rode my husky 510 were not quiet as impressed as the WRF riders who rode the 510. I think the 05 KTM 450 exc had a little more fun factor in the motor and power delivery.

Don't listen to this "BS" Gear any close ratio 250 down..limit the top speed to 55 and you have a POS Husky 510 :banghead: I was not impressed with the Husky compared to my WR.. :banghead: I just sold my 05 to buy a two-smoke..KTM or Yamaha :busted: never would even consider a Husky 🤣 Tired of preventive maintenance..just want to ride 🤣 Last post at TT for me, can't escape the husqvarna propaganda even in the KTM forum :busted:🤣:busted:

blaster, I have had a WR and now have a 450 exc 04...... both bikes are great, ktm way better ergos, light feeling ,more flickable, if you want a drag racer, you should stick with wr and maybe get rid of grey wire (yz timming) KTM power band is way more smother. KTM claim is they are ready to race out of the box....just need to change jetting. I have thought long and hard about gooing to the 525 .....but I think you might lose some of the fun factor of getting off and on the throttle throwing it around....I would think the 525 would be a hell of a bike but more grunt like a tractor ,,,which you get sometimes with bigger engines ...but I could be wrong,...I sure like my 450 exc....I have heard of guys redoing there flywheel on ktm and they get way more power band like a 2 stroke...maybe thats what you need(what do you ride in conditions?) I heard trail tech does a good job....... ? just my 2 cents?

OK, back to the question. I have a lot of time on both the 450 and the 525. Get the 525. If you do a lot of riding in deep sand like at Croom, then you will love the extra ponys. I have an 05 450 now and it will soon be my wife's bike. I am picking up an 06 525 in a few weeks. I rode my 450 all summer and played with the jetting(JD kit), gearing, air filters ...etc and still felt that it needed more at times. I love the bike for the tight technical stuff but if things open up, I find myself wanting more.

To put this in perspective, my brother has an 05 525 and I have the 450 and my wife has a 400. All excs. His bike and mine are jetted , geared and tuned identically. We set the suspension the same and ride with the same tires at the same pressures.

We are both "B" riders and weight about the same. We have done a lot of switching back and forth in all types of riding and both prefer the 525 "overall".

Unless your riding consists mostly in TIGHT single track, buy the 525.

OK, back to the question. I have a lot of time on both the 450 and the 525. Get the 525. If you do a lot of riding in deep sand like at Croom, then you will love the extra ponys. I have an 05 450 now and it will soon be my wife's bike. I am picking up an 06 525 in a few weeks. I rode my 450 all summer and played with the jetting(JD kit), gearing, air filters ...etc and still felt that it needed more at times. I love the bike for the tight technical stuff but if things open up, I find myself wanting more.

To put this in perspective, my brother has an 05 525 and I have the 450 and my wife has a 400. All excs. His bike and mine are jetted , geared and tuned identically. We set the suspension the same and ride with the same tires at the same pressures.

We are both "B" riders and weight about the same. We have done a lot of switching back and forth in all types of riding and both prefer the 525 "overall".

Unless your riding consists mostly in TIGHT single track, buy the 525.

Ditto! :banghead::banghead:

Power?? Do you guys all ride in the desert or are GNCC winners?

Why not get an XR650?

In the woods and technical stuff it's whatever power delivery fits your style and how they handle not how much power. They've all got enough.

An XR650 is a lead sled. Way too heavy and not good for much but desert racing. Nothing wrong with the 450 power but if you are looking for open class type of power, it is a little lacking. More like a 250 smoker. The 525 is the easiest bike to ride I have been on. You can lug it just off idle or run it into the rev limiter. Very linear power with no real hit. You can loft the front wheel over obstacles at ANY rpm and it will run 100mph with ease stock. If you can find a hill it won't climb, you're WAY out of my league.

Sort of the egg laying,wool producing dairy pig. The flywheel effect is the only down side in tight single tracks. And it is a wee bit thirsty if you ride it hard.

I had an 03' 525 mxc , thought it had power till I rode a stock 02'yzf426 back to back . The 525 had grunt but didnt have the fierce acceleration of the 426. I sold the 525 right after that ! Felt like a light weight XR to me . I ride motocross alot and like the crf/yzf type of power more . :banghead: