Sign in to follow this  

Are they really that bad?

Attention all DRZ owners

I'm looking for my first dirt bike but need it to be street legal. I'm 48, 6'1'' 230lbs and in half way decent shape. I don't intend on setting any speed records but would like to ride in the dual sport events around here. They are mostly in the woods and down gravel roads. I've been reading the posts here and it seems the DRZs get rated poorly in this site. The Huskys, Yamahas,and KTM's seem to take top gun. I have read enough to realize the 06 Huskys are street legal but the Yamahas and KTM's need to be converted.

What I like about the DRZs is that it seems I can pick up a fairly decent used bike for 3K or so. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance, Jeff

nice, a fellow wisconsinite.

Dr. Z is a good bike, the reason they are not as acclaimed as the others is because of power. The little DRZ that could doesn't make nearly as much power as the others, but then it requires WWAAAAAAYYYYY less maintainance and costs a buttload less to buy and repair.

I was in your boat, and desperately wanted a KTM640SM, but when I saw the $8k price tag, and the idea of changing oil almost every ride I quickly changed my mind. Now 34hp and $6099 for the DR-Zsm sounds like a steal.

It all depends on what you want from a bike... If you want a street legal motocross bike that requires a race level maintainance schedule, buy the Euro bikes or the WR. If you want a super reliable bike that can with a little time and money make good power, get the DRZ

the DRZ is the best all around bike and most reliable out of any of the other bikes you mention. it is specifically designed as a trail bike, not a competition bike like the others. you will not be disappointed in it, it was designed for exactly what you are looking to do with it.

A little more info on what the "dual sport events" are, please. Are they competitions, or are they fun rides like poker runs?

The DRZ is a great bike and I think you'll find plenty of guys here that love their ride! But if you're racing, then you do get what you pay for: A Husky or KTM new are in the $7,500 range, while a new DRZ is around $5,200. The expensive bikes are newer technology and lighter and more powerful. And more maintainance. The DRZ does everything well, but you'll be at a competitive disadvantage against the guys on the newest, latest and greatest speed weapons. Converting a Yamaha or KTM to street legal is pretty easy with a Baja Designs kit, about $400.

If you are street riding some and dirt riding some, the DRZ is a great choice. Easy to ride, easy to maintain.

it might be not as competitive as the others that you've herd of but you can mod it to the moon and make it just as fast as the others with the bottom line lower than the others.but if you want to loose some weight that will cost$$$$.regardless of the others the drz is the best bang for the buck.

i have been looking at bikes for so many years and finally decided to buy a DRZ new. Could not be happier, this bike is so solid and i will never sell it in a million years.

Get something new... thats a different story

That's odd, as a far as I can tell the DRZ is the highest rated dualsport bike that money can buy. Not sure where you got that 'poorly rated' information.

It really is one heck of a great bike. The Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, for sure!

:banghead:

Sounds like the DRZ is exactly what you're looking for. Go for it!

lets put it this way,mine goes where all of my friends bikes go and copes just as well as their bikes do,it cost me $6000 australian (second hand) and all of theirs were new and up around twice that,mines still worth pretty much what i paid for it 6 months ago while a mate of mine with a wr450 watches the value of his bike go down faster than a bride on her wedding night!his is now 12 months old and he'd be lucky to get $7500 for a bike he paid $12000 for 12 months ago.there is a good reason for this,they're reliable and go hard enough for 95% of people if they are being honest with themselves.people crap on about their bike making more power than the guy next door but how many really use it,i learn't this after riding road bikes for years and passing many an R1 on my SV650 through the twisties!

My handmade by burned SM is nowhere near as fast as the bike he built to replace it with. Then again I'm no longer a pro racer either, my reflexes are nowhere near as sharp as when I was a young man. My street legal E is just great for the off roadriding I do which is mainly climbing and cliff busting. I'm crazy as hell for doing it with my shot spine but nobody lives forever. I think the DRZ is the best all around trail machine ever made. That well over 40 years of experience talking. pdawg :banghead::banghead:

The S model in stock form gives the DRZ a bad rap....

Everyone says "DRZs are underpowered" when in reality an E model or Kicker make really good power after being rejetted even in stock form (40+HP).

Everyone says "DRZs are heavy" when in reality an E model is only 262 lbs dry and a Kicker is only 249 lbs dry. If you remove all the lights and stuff the kicker only has 10 - 15 lbs on the avg. motocrosser.

Comparable trail bikes are not far off these marks. An S model has a lot of junk on it that adds weight and a lower performance carb. But its street legal so..... :banghead:

But what you can turn it into with the right parts.... Even the S can be way lighter and very fast. Look at my garage for inspiration.

I've got 17.000 km on 03/DRZS so far..all trouble free riding and the most fun I've had on a bike in 30 yrs.......

One thing nice about the KTM's in Wisconsin is that you can get it plated with no problems from the DMV. I do not know about the Husky. You will never get a new E model, or other Jap dirt bike plated in WI. My friend has a new KTM 300 two stroke with a plate.

It's the best bike I've ever owned. From trail riding in Colorado, to hare scramble racing, to track days on the supermoto wheels, this bike does everything I ask of it without complaint.

Yes, the KTMs et al. are great bikes, but damn they're pricey. I paid $3500 for my KLX400SR (green DRZ-S) with only 1400 miles on it.

Get a DRZ-Mine has been great. It's an '01 that has been abused in the Mountains of NC-I've got 11,000 miles of trail riding on it, and just keep up the routine maintenace. I've taken some tought spiils on it also, and it has held up great!

That's funny you say they get bad ratings. I bought my DRZ for the exact opposite reason. Everything I read about the DRZ, including the magazines, said how bulletproof and reliable the DRZ is. I know I'll never be a pro so I don't need the absolute fastest and lightest bike around. The mods that I've done have given this little bike plenty of power also...

i love mine. ive had 3 of um loved them all.i like the s model best.mine completly stock .02 with 1800 miles i paid £2000 uk dosh.ive got all the goodies to fix on to it when ive got the time.go on get one.were here to guide u in the right direction. :banghead: