Sign in to follow this  

Just a Little Worried

I have an 04 CRF250R that is a great machine :banghead: . I haven't ridden the bike out in the desert for a few months.......just "put-puting" around the neighborhood. Today I took the bike out on the street for a quick little warm up, and it took about 30 kicks or so to start. After the last true ride out in the desert( like 4 months ago)....I drained all the gas out, replaced the oil, and cleaned the filter. Before today, I had ridden it on my street two or three times. I put about 1/10 a tank of fresh gas the last time I took her out on the street(2 weeks ago), just to get the engine running. The bike took about 20 kicks to start then, but about 30 kicks now. When the bike is started it does idle, and when its hot/warm it'll start in 1-3 kicks.

:banghead: Some advice

sounds like what happened to my 150. i at first had it running to where in 1-2 kicks it would start cold, and then take 20 kicks when dumped and hot, or sometimes just hot. later my bike changed to 10 kicks cold, and 1-5 kicks hot. i didnt like the 10 kicks when it was cold, so i went to motoworld (dirt bike dealer in so cal, el cajon) and had them do a full service. this was basically cleaning my bike, re jetting it, cleaning and tweaking the carbureator and any other maetenence it happened to need.

this seemed to straighten in out. i got it back and it not onlly started in 1-3 kicks hot or cold, it felt like it added a horsepower!

dont know if this helps, im not an expert and i dnot know if this is like what happened to you, but this is what i did and it worked, so this is basically my 2 cents.

My '04 was doing the same thing.

Cold= a million kicks to start

Hot= 1 or 2 kicks.

Solution: #42 pilot, it starts 1 or two kicks completely cold now.

I also recommend the JD jet kit. The '04 was jetted way too lean stock.

James Dean jet kits

The pilot jet costs the same as any other Keihin pilot, depends on where you get it. Cheapest from Service Honda, but I usually order some other things from them to make up for the cost of shipping.

Yes both are easy. You can get to the pilot through the drain cap in the bottom of the carb. Take the main jet out first. Look at a picture of the bottom of the carb so you'll know the relative location of the pilot.

As for the several people claiming it's the valves, you didn't pay attention to what he said. It starts fine when its hot, if the valves are tight it will not start well anytime, but especially when hot.