Sign in to follow this  

Solo GNCC

Hi All,

I'm very interested in getting involved with GNCC Racing next season. I'm wondering if any of you have ever raced solo? The reason I ask is because neither my girlfriend or friends have any interest in the fact that I ride and I don't have any type of pit crew or helper. Can an entire course be run in the 30+ vet c class on one oversized tank of fuel or is a refuel a must on most courses? I suppose I'd be up the creek in a mud race without someone there for a goggle or glove change. I'm just looking for advice if any of you folks have gone at this alone.

Thanks!

:banghead: Not recommended..........the goggles while important mean very little if you get crumpled up, its going to be hard to get home if you break something. :banghead: .......my suggestion is find a buddy...there are a few of us up state here that run some of them....there is a WNYOA race in Hancock NY this weekend, might be a good idea to come down and talk to a few people...after Unadilla this year there seems to be a little more intrest in getting out and doing the national scene...... the only problem is that most the GNCC's are mid eastern states friendly....meaning easier to get to from say Tennessee than from the St. Lawrence river....either way, Good Luck and welcome to TT...

www.WNYOA.net

WNYOA #327

Ohhhhh and also recommend a possible Girlfriend re-evaluation------------no intrest in your riding = daboot

I ran a few seasons of GNCC's solo. The worst part was making the sometimes 10+ hour drive to and from the races by myself. Since the morning C race is shorter than the afternoon race you shouldn't have a problem with fuel. Go for it, you'll never know until you try. :banghead:

GNCC's are a great event. I don't recommend going solo just incase you do get hurt somehow.

Morning races are 2 hours. So if you can ride your bike for MORE THAN 2 hours at a time then you have no problem. Main problem that I've found is keeping fresh goggles and gloves. Things can get pretty hary with wet gloves and goggles that don't have anymore roll offs.

Listen to WHtrino. Go to some local events and meet people. You'll be surprised how many people you can talk into going to a National with you.

I would be interested. I am in ohio, maybe we could meet up some where? pm me.

Guys,

Many thanks for your replies and advice! I hadn't though of the consequences of a serious injury and being able to return home with my rig in the event of a serious injury. Doing this alone is now out of the question. Setting up my bike correctly, having a quick fill tank and spare goggles/gloves are minuscule compared to that.

Once I get involved with the circuit or even local races, I'll no doubt meet people who'd be interested in doing the nationals.

Here's the abbreviated version of what's going on with my riding:

I rode dirt bikes from the age of 5 through 18. After graduating H.S. I sold my bikes to help me afford college. After graduating college, and at the age of 22, I entered life and was groomed into this horrible New York rat race working in the financial industry. I have been doing for the past 10 years. While I made a few bucks along the way I realize I am not happy at all. I'm not happy with the money hungry friends I have or the 8 year relationship I've been in with my current me, me, me girlfriend.

They now think I have lost my mind. At the beginning of this past summer my car lease was comming to an end and in one day I traded in on a new truck as well as bought a new bike. You should have seen the look on her face when I pulled up with my new rig! All she could say and think is "I'm some kind of dirt bag motorhead and why did I buy a truck and a motorcycle while she still doesn't have a ring on her finger." Within a week she walked out on me. I'm thinking well... so be it. I have new bike to break in. Let's get it on! To sum it up, I've had the best summer of my life this past year and I'm not stopping. I've realized the training and riding goals I have are far more satisfying then any other goal I've set over the past 10 years.

So here I am at the age of 33. While I realize that making a living is obviously a necessity, I have new set goals. That is... keeping myself in top physical condition and if not conquering, at the very least being a top 5 guy in amature vet GNCC Racing.

She has since come back to live with me but in my heart I know it's comming to an end between her and I. In fact, I've been looking into N.C. real estate recently just to centralize myself for the GNCC circuit. I have two friends in Asheville, NC which is an absolutely beautiful place to live and far less than half the cost of living in NY. I can also make almost any GNCC race in 10 hrs. or less from NC. I have a strong feeling I will make this move after the holidays.

So thanks again guys! I apreciate your advice and look forward to meeting you in the dirt!

X400R... I'll be sending you a message.

Thanks for reading guys!

Make sure to pack alot more beer than you normally would.

You will be thirsty afterward and so will others.

I'm not happy with the money hungry friends I have or the 8 year relationship I've been in with my current me, me, me girlfriend.

They now think I have lost my mind. At the beginning of this past summer my car lease was comming to an end and in one day I traded in on a new truck as well as bought a new bike. You should have seen the look on her face when I pulled up with my new rig! All she could say and think is "I'm some kind of dirt bag motorhead and why did I buy a truck and a motorcycle while she still doesn't have a ring on her finger." Within a week she walked out on me. I'm thinking well... so be it. I have new bike to break in. Let's get it on! To sum it up, I've had the best summer of my life this past year and I'm not stopping. I've realized the training and riding goals I have are far more satisfying then any other goal I've set over the past 10 years.

So here I am at the age of 33. While I realize that making a living is obviously a necessity, I have new set goals. That is... keeping myself in top physical condition and if not conquering, at the very least being a top 5 guy in amature vet GNCC Racing.

:busted::busted:🤣:busted::banghead::banghead:🤣🤣

GOOD FOR YOU.....10 yr break for me but was due to Military non-compatability issues......LMAO welcome to the Vet class as well...lol.....(I refuse...am riding Open B till I am eligible for Senior in 3 yrs :busted:)

That Hancock race is about as close to you as WNYOA series gets if you are in the NewYork city area....come on out this Sunday....we will be there. NETRA is also a great group.....look up both their web sites.....Good Luck and welcome back to :busted: .................My wife would slap me if I bought her a ring when she is really wanting a chest protector....:crazy:

Ohhh and as far as NC goes.....look around Black Mountain and Lake James if you are wanting Ashville area lot of good riding down there........Think I may be heading to Roanoake Va. http://www.vchss.org/vchss_flag_intro.htm I want the mountains as well as Va Tech Football.....

Good luck, why not just move up to the pro-class and try and make a living at it

Hi WhtRino,

Thanks for the encouragement! May I ask why you refuse the vet class?

I may make it up there this weekend as a spectator. My bike right now is torn down for a suspension revalve and to set it up for woods riding. I plan on riding it next season for a feel of the scene and to get myself aclimated for this type of racing. I have a motocross background and this is a whole new world for me.

Seems the top guys in GNCC are riding 2-Strokes for a number of reasons. I'm not sure if I want to ride the 4-Stroke or move to an 2-Stroke XC. I'll feel it out next year while riding a few GNCC as well as some local races and make my decision from there.

I never knew Black Forest or Lake James NC even existed. Trully magnificent is all I can say! I spent my entire morning looking at real estate down there as well as searching out the riding areas. I hope they take kindly to a Yankee like me :banghead:

If you know of any riding areas down there, please post the names or links for me?!

Thanks!

crodoe,

I don't want to talk any kind of jive and say that's my goal especially after being away from the sport for so long. However, it's not out of the question and would be a dream come true!

After reading the bios of guys like Rodney Smith and Scott Summers, who in their 40's are still the masters, I do think it's an achievable goal to turn pro by 40.

I'll take it one season at a time. Next year I'll race a handfull of GNCC and local races in the vet class. The following year I'll take on a full season of GNCC probably still in the vet class. After that, and at the age of 35, I'll take it from there. If I'm a B rider by then, I may switch to 250, open or the 4-Stroke class (depending on what bike I'm riding) and work my way up from there. Alot can happen over the next 7 years of racing. Right now I'm focused on staying in top shape and riding hard. I'll take everything else in stride!

Vet class...is for old guys....LOL......last bike I owned and rode was a 94 XR 600R......was 25 -26 yrs old best shape ever raced 4 Stoke B Class back before 4 Strks were cool, rode in the Mid-South Series, AMA Hare Scrambles, and some GNCC's (they were still not AMA then) and left the sport in 96........somewhere along the way ...I got older and 4 strks got faster and lighter...........and they went and made me eligible for Vet class....argghhhhh hanging onto my youth.....not ready to admit to being a Vet.....so basically.....:banghead:..........no reason