Sign in to follow this  

Air Box:what would it affect???

Alright guys, i am a little curious. If a airbox is messed up or broken or is really dirty what kind of problems would this cause thanks.

i believe as long as your air filter is clean and the snorkle going to the carb is not damaged it will be alright, dont want to get dirt in the carb

i believe as long as your air filter is clean and the snorkle going to the carb is not damaged it will be alright, dont want to get dirt in the carb

Well thanks for the info. But what i am really wondering if its not working correctly what will it affect syptoms?

I got this airbox and the guy told me he couldnt find the right air filter to go in so he made his own. I have a feeling its not working correctly. Need to know what the air box affects if not working right.

The main problem won't be dirt in the carb, it will be dirt in the motor. You will need a new topend and will need to bore the cylinder.

If air won't pass through the filter then your engine will run rich, therefore symptoms of a clogged/shitty air filter will be the same as the symptoms of richly jetted engine.

Ok thanks guys. Will it affect its performance. How it runs/rides?

Also can someone help me out and link me or suggest a place to get air filter for a XR80 1981. Thanks not sure what one i need!

The eBay auction is for an '88 to '05

oops... hell of a good deal though!

:banghead:

It looks like the one in the pic. But its a 1981 Airbox.

What kind of oil would i put in there when replacing

Hi Boxfan , I used to mess around washing the filter foam in petrol or solvent then pouring engine oil on it and squeezing it through , but then I got smart and now simply wash the foam in hot water using dishwashing liquid in the kitchen or bathroom sink , squeeze the foam on a clean rag or old towel to remove any water , then squeeze plain old vegetable oil through it . Vege oil does exactly the same job of trapping dirt particles as mineral oil . In your case you won't make a mess and your mother won't be yelling at you or clipping you around the ears plus you can just wash your hands with plain old soap afterwards and there's no health issues . It's much less hassle , quicker , and the filter is more thoroughly cleaned . Handling petrochemicals is not a very bright idea healthwise because they absorb through the skin and you also breath in the fumes . I do away with the airbox altogether and fit a uni filter sock/pod filter . They're cheap , give no flow restrictions and are easier to remove and clean and unless you ride recklessly through thick mud or water , they'll give you no problems ! In 30 years , I've never had any problems using them and they do a very good job as long as you keep them clean and oiled (like any filter). On tearing my engines down , I've never seen any evidence of dirt damage or unusual wear to the piston , valves or upper bore ! :banghead::banghead:

Where can i get those for my 1981 XR. i looked on ebay didnt see any. bikebandit dont have them for my bike i dont think. Thanks XR EVOLUTION. U helped me out alot.

You don't specifically have to get a UNI FILTER brand filter but they are top quality and have the right grade of foam ! All of the chinese pitbikes run el cheapo pod filters now , and they're not too bad , so you should be able to find one fairly easily . Just measure the outer diameter of the inlet spigot on your carby where the air boot attaches and get a pod filter that's exactly the same size or slightly larger . They're simply held on with a hose clamp . If you can't find one that's small enough for a stock XR carby , you can just use a shortened piece of radiator hose shoved on first to build it up . Most pitbike air filters suit a 38 mm carby flange but UNI makes --- UP 4112 1" 28 MM ID ----- UP 4125 1 1/4" 32 MM ID -------UP 4152 1 1/2" 38 MM ID --- for $14.95 each . They also make standard replacement filters as well but the universal pod is cheaper and simpler to use ! Over here we adapt a 22 mm Keihin carby off an early model XL / CB or SL 125 using a different manifold and they work extremely well and give a very noticeable power increase over the stock carby , especially with the head ported . A 38 mm pod filter fits them spot on ! You can check the filters out at

--------------------http://www.unifilter.com/clamp-on.htm ---- :banghead::banghead:

The UNI Pod Filter part numbers for a 38mm (1 1/2") carb intake are:

UP-6152 - straight Pod Filter - $14.95

UP-6152AST - Angled two-stage Pod Filter - $17.95