Sign in to follow this  

24 HOURS of Glen Helen ?

pastrana broke sumtin...... again. repitition is the mother of all learning, maybe eventually he will learn, or regret when he is in his 30 and suffering the long term effects from his injjuries

Adrew Short and TY Davis looked fast. I heard Cambell had to change motors ( hole in the case halves) and was not being scored. Deegan also looked good on the 199 team bike. All of the guys, treated my boys well when the asked for autographs. Ty went out of his way to talk to the boys. I found out which bike not to ride in the 24 a cr500, alot of fun but wouldn't ride a 500 again .

Adrew Short and TY Davis looked fast. I heard Cambell had to change motors ( hole in the case halves) and was not being scored. Deegan also looked good on the 199 team bike. All of the guys, treated my boys well when the asked for autographs. Ty went out of his way to talk to the boys. I found out which bike not to ride in the 24 a cr500, alot of fun but wouldn't ride a 500 again .

You weren't on the 303 bike (I think that was the number) were you? We were the 306 bike a couple of pits over from you...

Man, I hurt today! :banghead:

Yep that was us . I never rode that pos till that day, and one of our riders backed out. I'm sore ,but we finished. How did you guys do? You looked like you were going pretty good . We were just in survival mode. First a bent shift shaft , the light quit working . I was the first out at night and the light quit. It was a little hairy . Baja designs had it fixed in a hurry. At 3 am, I was hoping the bike would blow up. I'll do it again but with a diff. bike and in better shape. We still had alot of fun.

We were a sportsman team on the 82 bike. I was wrenching, and the riders were my son, his metal shop teacher (the bike owner), another of his students, and that student's father. We ended up 5th in class after sitting out the early morning hours before dawn due to light/visibility/fatigue problems. Nothing and nobody got broken, and we had a good time.

Ty Davis' team won, if I got the right info from Junior.

Yep that was us . I never rode that pos till that day, and one of our riders backed out. I'm sore ,but we finished. How did you guys do? You looked like you were going pretty good .

2nd in class and 1st overall for the series (6, 12 and 24 hour combined) I just watched the video I took of the race and it looks like you guys had a better start than we did. We were just about last off the start, but that was good because there were a lot of guys going down in that first turn into the sand wash.

We were a sportsman team on the 82 bike. I was wrenching, and the riders were my son, his metal shop teacher (the bike owner), another of his students, and that student's father. We ended up 5th in class after sitting out the early morning hours before dawn due to light/visibility/fatigue problems. Nothing and nobody got broken, and we had a good time.

Were you guys on a XR650; right next to the guys who had another 650 die on them early on? There was one pitted right accross from us and I thought the number was 82. It looked like that bike did not want to start there durung the early hours on Saturday. I think those guys kicked it over for 10 minutes before it finally came to life...

What a day...

#303 I was figuring that was you guys......the only CR500 out there. A few of us did comment about you guys being tough riding that CR the whole way.

Good job!

Our pits (#440/#145) were relatively uneventful which was nice.

Nowazzu and Bajaboundmoto

Thanks for your input on my other post . I printed it and at least I knew what to expect. The only part of the 500 I liked was I knew it was going to make the big hills , at night this was a good thing. Thanks again . Next time I'll get your race numbers to thank you in person.

I Rode the #303 CR500 with jim1234 .I am the 125 pound guy that started the race dead engine,not easy for a little guy :banghead: .Still got it fired up after 2 kicks and was in second by the end of the first lap.I have say im proud of jim for making it thru , the guy rode a lap with no lights🤣 !good job jim :banghead: .I know we were on the wrong bike for sure ,but it was cheap and no one was willing to donate their 05's.looking at selling the 500 which is street legal if anyone knows of someone who might want it.I thinking about a yz426 for next year their pretty cheap and im still not willing to run my new crf.what bike do you guys recommend and what maintenance do you do to them before , during and after the race ?It was great riding with all you guys and cant for next year!

Were you guys on a XR650; right next to the guys who had another 650 die on them early on? There was one pitted right accross from us and I thought the number was 82. It looked like that bike did not want to start there durung the early hours on Saturday. I think those guys kicked it over for 10 minutes before it finally came to life...

What a day...

There was an XR right next to us that lost the countershaft seal and the entire load of oil with it. After they ran into town to fetch a replacement, they discovered that they had burned the cam, so that ended their day.

The only one of the four guys on our team who had ever ridden an XR650 prior to Saturday was the bike's owner, if you don't count my son's two trips up the Sand Dam at Superstition two weeks ago, or the other kid's repeated "practice starts" in front of his house Friday evening, and none of the three had any previous experience with big, manual decomp thumpers. I thought they did OK. :banghead: They had a hell of a good time, I can tell you that. :banghead:

wow, sounds like a fun race..i'm out here in Illinois so i doubt i can ever make it out there to race, wish they had some small scale ones out here just to do for fun...the idea of racing for 24hours sounds great to me :banghead:

I am the 125 pound guy that started the race dead engine,not easy for a little guy!
Oh yeah!! When I saw you riding to the start I was thinking....'how can that little guy ride that CR500?!' Good going!
There was an XR right next to us that lost the countershaft seal and the entire load of oil with it. After they ran into town to fetch a replacement
All ya had to do was walk down to Honda/Precision Concepts, they'd have given you a new one, as they did for the guys pitted across from us.
i'm out here in Illinois so i doubt i can ever make it out there to race, wish they had some small scale ones out here just to do for fun...the idea of racing for 24hours sounds great to me
Come'on! The team next to us was from Florida! (kx250)

There is another pretty big 24 hr race in Alabama or somthing like that. It's called Perry Mountain. That's a bit closer to home for ya.

The only one of the four guys on our team who had ever ridden an XR650 prior to Saturday was the bike's owner, if you don't count my son's two trips up the Sand Dam at Superstition two weeks ago, or the other kid's repeated "practice starts" in front of his house Friday evening, and none of the three had any previous experience with big, manual decomp thumpers. I thought they did OK.🤣 They had a hell of a good time, I can tell you that. :banghead:

Right on. :banghead:

I was waiting for my ride at midnight when I saw them kicking that beast for a long time. I remember thinking "man, if that were me, I would have given up and fired up the BBQ by now." Lots of heart in those guys for fighting that thing and not giving up on it. Of course, I really felt bad when the 450X came in and I simply pushed the E-start, happy button. 🤣

Right on. :banghead:

I was waiting for my ride at midnight when I saw them kicking that beast for a long time. I remember thinking "man, if that were me, I would have given up and fired up the BBQ by now." Lots of heart in those guys for fighting that thing and not giving up on it. 🤣

You missed fun part of that sequence. The #4 rider came in on foot and told us that the rear chain was so tight he couldn't move the bike. he had left it up next to the REM track, so we hot-footed it up there with a 27, a 12, a 10, and flashlight, expecting to see the axle slipped back in the swing arm. When I got to it, sure enough, the chain was tighter than a A string, but the wheel hadn't moved. Very weird. Nevertheless, I backed the adjusters off, and #3 took it back to the pits, where we looked it over and sent #3 on his way. The bike had gotten in a bad mood by then and wouldn't start for the kid. So, the boss stood off the right side to start it, and asked, "is the choke off?". Kid says "yes", but it was on, so that extended the process a bit. :banghead: But like I said, we had fun, and who knows, if we hadn't taken a 4 hour break, they might even have won their class.🤣

The thing with the chain is very strange. Nothing seemed loose or moveable, and yet it went from right to extremely tight, got adjusted back right again, then went looser. I looked at everything, and the only thing I can think of that makes any sense would be if the inner races of the swing arm bearings were eccentric and rolled over on him. But that's weird. Ever seen a chain shrink in the rain?

I have never had a chain tighten , but weirder things have happend to me. How about the kid across from you who came in, and collapsed? I saw the medics put on a neck brace and load him up as I was getting geared up. What happened to him? I saw him moving but only after a while. I felt bad for him, especially when they started cutting off his gear!

How about the kid across from you who came in, and collapsed?
He endo'ed really ugly-like in the sand wash, the way I heard it, and landed straight down on the top of his forehead like a dart. They were saying that he couldn't feel his right arm. :banghead::banghead: He could certainly feel a lot of other things to hear him tell it. I hope he recovers alright.