Sign in to follow this  

popping and farting from an 06

my 06 has probably 4-5 hours on it. and it pops and farts and carries on like crazy. i have tried, warming it up for extended periods before riding, adjusting mixture. but yeh, still does it. has anyone else found this? this is my first 4 stroke, so im not too sure if its normal, but my mates crf doesnt do it nearly half as much. is it a tell tale kawasaki thing? maybe if i up the jet to maybe 42-45 or something will it help?

Theres all kinds of other threads about this. But i just left the jetting stock and live with the popping because it doesnt really matter.

That popping means that combustion is occurring in the exhaust. If the mixture is lean it takes longer to burn. My guess is that when you are decelerating with the throttle closed the motor is sucking in more air than the pilot circuit would normally need to provide fuel for. The quick fix is to use a 45 pilot jet. I haven't heard about any long term problems with this popping but it can't be good for your motor to be burning fuel in the exhaust pipe...

You dont say when it pops, on decel w/ the throttle closed or while accelerating. If it pops on decel with the throttle closed you have the fuel mixture screw to rich (extra fuel delivered and sitting in the exhaust pipe and it pops when the heat ignites it), set it at 2 turns out. if it pops while accelerating then you are to lean. i bolted on a pc full system, left the jetting stock and i have no issues (500 above s.l.). make sure you have no leaks at the exhaust flange, where the pipe/muffler connect or intake boot. i have had 3 kx250f's and have only experienced popping on decel when my fuel mixture screw is out to far. also, make sure you have the correct scredriver(very small) to adjust the screw (and patience). you can get false readings. or, best thing is to get a zip-ty easy adjust one (or equivalent). fuel mixture screw adjustments can be often necessary depending on weather. also, make sure your hot start is adjusted and lube properly.