Sign in to follow this  

Clutch needs to be rebuild? HELP!

I was riding alone and I got my big bad XR tangled in some (ok, a whole lot) of barbed wire about 3 miles from the car. To make a long story short, the tangle made the chain really tight, I used some primitive tools to free it up it (pliers, a stick and a rock). Once free, I hit the gas, popped the clutch and SQUEEEEK...off like a rocket! I was desperate to get out so I limped back to the car.

Since then, I have changed the oil.

NOW, when I am really using the low end torque, I get an odd vibration and shuttering sound, like the plates are slipping. Plus, there is a "friction smell", like melting stuff. :banghead::banghead:

Any suggestions on what that might be? Dammaged clutch plates?

What brand plates should I buy to replace them? Any suggestions?

Did you immediately realize you had gotten into the wire and stop to pick it out? Was the clutch ok before then?

Kinda sounds like you may still have a piece stuck somewhere. I'd look behind the front sprocket, as stuff can get wrapped around back there and not be obvious.

Between cutting and unwrapping, I got all of the barbedwire out.

The problem is definately coming from inside the case. My guess is that since the chain was really tight, there was a lot of tension to overcome and the clutch plates overheated and started to wear heavily. Now, 3 rides later, normal riding is taking it's toll on the already worn out clutch plates.

any advice on who makes a good after market clutch plate setup? I was looking at the TUSK package complete with new springs.

It sounds like the kanootin valve. Ben The clutch was working well enough to get you into the crash position Sunday. How is the arm? :banghead: