Sign in to follow this  

Any disadvantages of E vs S?

Thinknig of buying a DRZ and have been doing a lot of research here and decided that unanimously the E is considered the better ride, so I narrowed my search to an e-model licensed for the street, found one and am now feeling a little nervous.

How often should I expect to change oil and adjust valves on a 2001 E model that will be serving street-motard duty? I have about a 20 mile commute each way to work I would like to use it for, beside general hooliganism.

I guess I would just like to know that with all the things that make an E model better than an S, are there some major disadvantages that I should be aware of?

Depending on the dual sport kit on the E, the lights on the S may be more visible. The S has a beefier subframe and can actually carry a load on the rear fender. For street use, that's about it. E has a different carb and more HP because of it. Sprocket set up is different, but easy to swap and fairly cheap.

If you don't need to carry much weight on the rear (or use a backpack), and the lights are good, I'd say go for it. It'll be better on the dirt when you do take it out.

I know you could never get a new E plated in WI - I am not sure if you transfer it from another state and it has a plate already. Better check with the wonderful DMV before you buy.

i wish suzuki would just give use one bike and give us the option of what kind of carb and wheels etc that we want on it.i don't know anything about a plated e where you are but i would ckeck to make sure

I have an e plated in MO and let me tell you it doesn't take much so be careful. Here we don't need mirrors, speedo/odo, only one break has to activate the lights, turn signals have to work if equipped but if not equipped well hey thats okay no horn needed. some less reputable bike shops around where I live even let them go without a break light or DOT tires on them.

Just a heads up to ask your DMV to be sure the bike you want has all that right stuff for your state.

I think that E is the way to go if it will work in your state. I like mine alot.

The nice part is WI has no inspections of any kind, so as long as I take care of things once I have the title and plate I'm in the clear. All it takes to get a title and plate is a signed title from previous owner.