Sign in to follow this  

Bay Area/Northern California Mechanics

OK, so I have caught the bug...damn you people!!!!

Having made some simple mods to my bike, I am left wanting to do more. Do I need it :banghead: ? NO!!! Do I want it? Oh yes....🤣

I have done all the protective stuff I need to. So that is taken care of...NEXT!!! I will have new bars, billet throttle tube, pegs, etc later this week as well as my custom Renazco Racing Seat (GF got her this weekend and it is freaking FANTASTIC!!!!). :banghead:

Here are my plans...

Stage 1

3x3 and Rejet

Yoshimura Full Exhaust System

Suspension overahaul for my weight

Stage 2

Yoshimura 450 Big Bore Kit (open to suggestions here) 🤣

New Perchs

GPS/Mounts

I am open to suggestions here, but MOSTLY what I am looking for is a REALLY good mechanic in the SF Bay Area or perhaps between here and Sacramento. Any thoughts y'all????

I hear good things about Hare Racing in Sunnyvale...

Maybe you're not getting many responses because most DRZ owners, myself included, do our own wrenching on our bikes...

Ya I know...I have done a little bit, but have to admit that it's a time thing more than anything else. I'd love to do more of my own wrenching, but I'd rather be out on my bike riding it. Just trying to fit too much into life right now.

I can't recommend a good local mechanic thats why I do all my own work.... :banghead: :banghead:

As for the Yosh 450 I am rebuilding a Yosh 450 motor (crank arrives this week).... But the FCR carb should be your first priority. That is the best mod you can do.

You can get an OEM E or Kicker model one or an aftermarket one. Mine is an OEM E model one I got used.

You can also use an FCR-MX type carb found on most 4 stroke MXers. They are all functionally the same and use the same jets and needles. You should get a 39mm.

They are all the same function wise. I would try and get an OEM one or an aftermarket kit for the DRZ because the throttle wheel placement and everything will be in the right place. You also can remove the coast enricher on the OEM carb. On the FCR-MX You can't remove it as it is built into the carb body. Doesn't really matter but I don't mind a little popping on decel so I removed mine.

Prices could be as low as $75 like the ones I always seem to find and snag. :banghead:

Or even $500+ new depending on how you go.

OEM new is ridiculous.

i went the backward way,3x3,jet kit,full yosh ex with SA removed(loud)my fcrmx has arrived but waiting on e parts.i don't know how far you are from yosh but you can send them the motor and they will do it for you I'm thinking on th same kit but haven't made my mind up yet.good luck :banghead:

if you want to drag you bike to San Luis Obispo I'll do all the mods you want for the price of parts and a couple of cases of beer!

Marin Cycleworks does good work. I live in SF as well, and like you sometimes just do not have the time. Love to wrench... but am just very busy.

I would *not* bring it to a place *in* the city. Seems all they know well are street bikes...

I know a guy in Rocklin that has a shop and does good work. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Chuck.

Re carb upgrade

I will have to disagree with everyone on the carb upgrade. I may be classified as a cheapskate for this but I think a well set up S carb is almost equal to the E carb especially given the cost. It also has advantages from what I understand when riding in changing altitudes and not wanting such a finiky carb which is nice here in CA especially if you aren't a mechanic. Reason I say this is that my brother has the S model and I have the E. We can swap bikes and race and I'll be dammed if we aren't within a wheel of each other at any point in the contest. We race at top end and we are again neck and neck. He had his bike dynoed and jetted for $100 and that is a lot cheaper than buying a carb. Now I have not had mine dynoed but I think its pretty close to being dialed if its not totally dialed in--it runs great and has bigger jets than stock and even has a header pipe. AND for the bonus, his bike runs a bit better when we head to Tahoe or something. It seems to be an expensive upgrade for that little marginal performance difference to me. I would say get a round trip ticket to Costa Rica or something,and for the $$$ you'll get much better return.

Send it too burned for a freewheeler stroke and bore. Probably still be cheaper then the the yosh kit alone...and who else should work your drz then the master himself?

Re carb upgrade

I will have to disagree with everyone on the carb upgrade. I may be classified as a cheapskate for this but I think a well set up S carb is almost equal to the E carb especially given the cost. It also has advantages from what I understand when riding in changing altitudes and not wanting such a finiky carb which is nice here in CA especially if you aren't a mechanic. Reason I say this is that my brother has the S model and I have the E. We can swap bikes and race and I'll be dammed if we aren't within a wheel of each other at any point in the contest. We race at top end and we are again neck and neck. He had his bike dynoed and jetted for $100 and that is a lot cheaper than buying a carb. Now I have not had mine dynoed but I think its pretty close to being dialed if its not totally dialed in--it runs great and has bigger jets than stock and even has a header pipe. AND for the bonus, his bike runs a bit better when we head to Tahoe or something. It seems to be an expensive upgrade for that little marginal performance difference to me. I would say get a round trip ticket to Costa Rica or something,and for the $$$ you'll get much better return.

Crashing you could not be any more wrong..... :banghead: If your E can't absolutely slaughter the S then something is seriously wrong with your jetting or you have a CA E model (04 and up) which is basically an S model anyways.

I own one of each S and KLX400R and the S has gone through the full 9..... If you can't feel the difference like I said something isn't right.

As for $100 being cheaper than the carb I have gotten 2 used FCR39 carbs for $75 each so who says anyone else can't do the same. Just takes "effort". :banghead:

Don't take me wrong I am not trying to slam you..... I am just saying you are wrong. Anyone who rides my S compared to an S with the OEM carb you can feel the difference or you are on drugs.

Can you hit the rev limiter in 5th gear with 15/41 gearing and 17s? I can easily and have. Still only 400cc.