Sign in to follow this  

Las Padres forest run 10/19

Going to hit the forest this Wed 10/19.

Plan on staging at Sterling at 08:00.

Brian you still in?

Conditions should be great after the recent rains. No dust and no crowds. Just miles of tough trails. Any takers?

Just got off the phone with the USFS and they said the forest trails are still open. They also said Snowy and Arrasta are still closed. I knew Snowy was closed but I have ridden Arrasta recently and it was open. They must have just closed it or the lady didn't know what she was talking about.

We better get our forest riding in because it won't be long until they are closed for the winter.

Anyone ride Arrasta this weekend?

I'm in for sure :banghead: I'm trying to think of a good loop we could go on in Hungry Valley...What type of terrain are you looking for? There aren't any hard trails in there really...just the wider/faster stuff.

See you at tomorrows meeting @ 7:00 :banghead:

Brian

You know after this recent storm I think I would like to spend more time in the forest. They will close the trails soon after the first real good storm or snow. Then we will have to do Gorman loops, by the way I have a good Gorman training loop sent to me by a friend. I'll send it to you via e-mail. I lost my Gorman map but it sounds good.

I say we take on as much forest as possible before it gets closed because of winter storms. Were looking at November already. After that it's all about the dez.

See you tomorrow at the club meeting. Looks like your going to get voted in. If you do and I think you will. It may be the fastest a member has ever been voted into So. Cal M/C. You deserve it after all the work you did at the race.

Later.

I'm in for sure :banghead: I'm trying to think of a good loop we could go on in Hungry Valley...What type of terrain are you looking for? There aren't any hard trails in there really...just the wider/faster stuff.

See you at tomorrows meeting @ 7:00 :banghead:

Brian

Wider faster stuff can be a good thing when training for dez. We need to find some deep sand and killer whoops. Riding deep sand whoops helps a lot to build the endurance. Were already good goat trail riders. Even decent hillclimbers.

I need to work on endurance. It's one thing to ride 60 miles in the forest with many stops. It's another to ride 70-80 miles with one gas stop. Throw in deep sand and whoops and it always kicks my azz. Not to mention a hillclimb with a bunch of stuck riders in your way. Remember Shamrocks?

I am kinda trying to get ready for Hilltoppers. But even if we just do a forest run that is fine by me. I would like to go up Arasta but we'll see I have some Ideas.

I need to work on endurance. It's one thing to ride 60 miles in the forest with many stops. It's another to ride 70-80 miles with one gas stop. Throw in deep sand and whoops and it always kicks my azz. Not to mention a hillclimb with a bunch of stuck riders in your way. Remember Shamrocks?

Hell yeah I remember, that was fun :banghead: I'll try to find my Hungry Valley map and map out one of the routes you emailed me.

We did it again. Another great day of riding up in the forest/Hungry Valley. We covered about 70 miles.

Brian thanks for coming out. It was a bit muddy. Didn't take many pics just wanted to try to keep the bikes moving. More of a workout ride. Nothing nasty like usual.

I fouled my first plug on this bike. I am going to keep her. Need to work on jetting for the colder months. Also my stabilizer mount came loose and I didn't have the tools to get things back in order. Pissed me off. The allen wrenches were at home in my MTB bag. I did have the tools back at the truck. But this caused our forest ride to be cut short.

It was great to ride the park on a weekday after a good rain. I forgot how fun those trails can be. Good work out as well. Starting to get used to my 2 smoker. I hate mud.

We took a dead end canyon that was neat the pics don't show it well but it was cool.

Anyway here is a link to like 10 lame pics.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1044040

We did it again. Another great day of riding up in the forest/Hungry Valley. We covered about 70 miles.

Brian thanks for coming out. It was a bit muddy. Didn't take many pics just wanted to try to keep the bikes moving. More of a workout ride. Nothing nasty like usual.

I fouled my first plug on this bike. I am going to keep her. Need to work on jetting for the colder months. Also my stabilizer mount came loose and I didn't have the tools to get things back in order. Pissed me off. The allen wrenches were at home in my MTB bag. I did have the tools back at the truck. But this caused our forest ride to be cut short.

It was great to ride the park on a weekday after a good rain. I forgot how fun those trails can be. Good work out as well. Starting to get used to my 2 smoker. I hate mud.

We took a dead end canyon that was neat the pics don't show it well but it was cool.

Anyway here is a link to like 10 lame pics.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1044040

As always, I had a blast :banghead: Took me over an hour to get all of the caked on mud off the bike. Most of it came off with the hose, but a lot of it got stuck in hard to reach places :banghead: Oh well, it was definitely fun though. A nice change of pace from the normal technical trails we've done. We've got to get a group of guys together and go riding like the first time we met. That day we did Piru was one of the best dirtbiking experiences I've ever had🤣

As always, I had a blast :banghead: Took me over an hour to get all of the caked on mud off the bike. Most of it came off with the hose, but a lot of it got stuck in hard to reach places :banghead: Oh well, it was definitely fun though. A nice change of pace from the normal technical trails we've done. We've got to get a group of guys together and go riding like the first time we met. That day we did Piru was one of the best dirtbiking experiences I've ever had🤣

Brian,

Most near death experiences get better with time. When in the moment they kinda suck. I'll do it again for sure. It was a good ass kicking. But winter approaches and daylight grows short. Imagine that ride in the dark. Cold and wet at night on that or any forest trail in the winter could end up to be your last trail ride. It's just about full on dez season.

We'll do it again next season. I was hoping that the Snowy would open this year. I can see now that it won't. That should be a goal for next season. The Piru was tough and rewarding. The Snowy will just flat scare the s**** out of you. It's something to be seen and one you will never forget.

Till then keep on riding and racing.

Derek,

Not your usual s-load of pictures. Must of been busy riding. That picture of your bike isn't very muddy. Must be a before picture!!

Bill get a map of the Los Padres national forest and ride a trail called Arasta for starters...Its high desert riding for the most part. The forest is like the forest up north except without all the mud. The forest has the more challenging trails by far. With all the rain they just got it should still be real good by this weekend. I rode there on the 19th and it was perfect.

later,

HH

The pictures taken yesterday were in Hungry Valley only (no forrest pictures). As was said, the forest has much harder trails by far.

saddog- we were trying to keep a fast pace with as few stops as possible (not much time for picture taking this time). He took the picture of his bike about 1/4-1/2 of the way into the ride. It did get muddier throughout the day :banghead:

The pictures taken yesterday were in Hungry Valley only (no forrest pictures). As was said, the forest has much harder trails by far.

saddog- we were trying to keep a fast pace with as few stops as possible (not much time for picture taking this time). He took the picture of his bike about 1/4-1/2 of the way into the ride. It did get muddier throughout the day :banghead:

Hey Brian,

I am trying to convince the wife to let me ride Sunday. You up for a forest ride? I just need to fix the flat I got at Rowher a couple of weeks ago....

Hey Brian,

I am trying to convince the wife to let me ride Sunday. You up for a forest ride? I just need to fix the flat I got at Rowher a couple of weeks ago....

Wish I could go...I'm doing a 100 mile desert race on Sunday :banghead: Maybe another time? :banghead:

My next several weekends are shot...my grandparents are having a huge 60th anniversary one weekend, then they got a new house, so we are moving them the following two weekends, etc...

Wish I could go...I'm doing a 100 mile desert race on Sunday :banghead: Maybe another time? :banghead:

My next several weekends are shot...my grandparents are having a huge 60th anniversary one weekend, then they got a new house, so we are moving them the following two weekends, etc...

100miles!? I take it you got that desert tank you were talkin about :-) Have fun!