Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Builder recommendation in Grass Valley area?

Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder in the Nevada City/Grass Valley, or Auburn area? I had a wheel built by a shop that I'm not terribly happy with. I'm looking for an experienced builder who can clean this wheel up, maybe answer a few dumb questions, and take care of my future wheel work.

Sorry, I can't help with the wheel builder but I had to respond to a fellow GV/NC guy.

I used to live there from 80 to 85 and practiced and raced Sac, Marysville, Dixon, and a couple tracks in Nevada as well. Back when Dist. 36 was still strong.

Man that is beautiful country, and I alway think about moving back. Love hanging at the river, and quick trip to Tahoe.

Hmmm... dont know about that area but theres a killer shop in the bay area that can do it. A&A Racing..... aaracing.com

Lodi...TCR
Thanks, I checked out their website, not quite close enough for me to run over at lunchtime which is what I was hoping for, but they will be at Prairie City this weekend for the AMP race, so I may have them take a look at it there.

BTW, I'd still be interested if anyone knows someone who is *really* local to my area (GV/NC or Auburn). Doesn't have to be a "shop", just someone with the tools and skill to do the work right for a reasonable price.

Sorry, I can't help with the wheel builder but I had to respond to a fellow GV/NC guy.

I used to live there from 80 to 85 and practiced and raced Sac, Marysville, Dixon, and a couple tracks in Nevada as well. Back when Dist. 36 was still strong.

Man that is beautiful country, and I alway think about moving back. Love hanging at the river, and quick trip to Tahoe.

We probably went to a lot of the same races back the early eighties :banghead:

Thanks, I checked out their website, not quite close enough for me to run over at lunchtime which is what I was hoping for, but they will be at Prairie City this weekend for the AMP race, so I may have them take a look at it there.

BTW, I'd still be interested if anyone knows someone who is *really* local to my area (GV/NC or Auburn). Doesn't have to be a "shop", just someone with the tools and skill to do the work right for a reasonable price.

There used to be a Labor only Bike shop in Marysville and the guy that owned it Is Mike Ames. If you can find it/him, you will be in great shape. Guy is a perfectionist and very solid mechanic as well.

What about Dave's Dirt & Street in Grass Valley? Or did you already try there?
Just changed hands, it's now "Moto Elite" or something like that. Haven't been in there yet, but I'm gonna try and stop by at lunch to see what they stock and what services they offer.

Just curious, what did the wheel builder do for you and what didn't you like about it?
I cracked the stock rim so I had the shop build a wheel using my hub, a new Excel rim and a new set of Buchanan HD spokes. I trusted this place and just assumed that a wheel build would be done by one of their more experienced and knowledgeable people.

1. wheel not true

2. rim not centered on hub (incorrect dish)

2. spokes installed incorrectly

Probably more detail than anyone really cares about, but here's the story:

When I first picked the wheel up I noticed several spokes sticking up well above the top of the nipple (inside the rim where it could puncture the tube). Some of them were as much as 3 threads above the top of the nipple. They basically said 'that's normal, we'll grind those off so they don't puncture your tube' (big mistake to let them do it). There were also several spokes that seemed to be well short of proper depth inside the nipple. When I got home, mounted a tire and installed the wheel on my bike, I noticed that the wheel was not true (wobbled badly) and was rubbing the chain. The entire bike went back to the shop the next morning where they trued it fairly well but didn't fix the dish (the swingarm to rim measurement still differed by 1/2" from side to side, being closer on the chain side, they said "that's normal" and blamed it on me not having the axle square in the swingarm (not true) so they 'cheated' the axle alignment enough to make the tire clear the chain and called it done. We were in a big hurry to make a race that weekend (I was already at the track, someone else actually picked the bike up for me and the 'fixes' were told to me over the phone). After one race with this wheel I pulled the tire off and looked closer. I noticed that all of the spokes that were too long (the ones they ground off) were installed as "outers" and all of the ones that came up short were installed as "inners". After calling a well-known wheel lacing shop, I learned that the Honda hubs use a slightly longer inner spoke, something that the guy who built the wheel clearly didn't know because he had used some short spokes as inners and some long spokes as outers, which is why some were too short and some too long. Between that mistake, the incorrect dish/offset and the initial wobble, I have to wonder if this kid had EVER built a wheel before in his life.

Thankfully, I found a friend of a friend in my area who's built lots of wheels. He looked at it and quickly confirmed everything I thought was wrong with it and is going to redo it for me. Unfortunately I'm stuck with 8 spokes that are now shorter than they should be for their intended location in the wheel.

caveat emptor :banghead:

I know a guy who builds wheels in the Foresthill area. PM your number and I'll pass it to him.

I know a guy who builds wheels in the Foresthill area. PM your number and I'll pass it to him.
Thanks jr, as I said in my (really long) followup, I've already found someone to do the rebuild, but I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry you had a bad experience with a shop. What you described was a basic, simple assembly that any mechanic should easily figure out. I don't waste money and time with shop mechanics anymore. If I can't do it myself, I do without it.