Sign in to follow this  

suspension setup

Ok - here's my dilema - I'm a few months away from taking my bike in to have the suspension set up for my weight and riding style. I've talked to quite a few people and as usual I get 1 story from the woods riders and another story from the MX guys. My understanding thus far is that woods riding = plush suspension, MX = stiffer suspension, sound right?

I enjoy both, but I don't want to bottom the suspension out at the local MX track because the bike was set up for woods. It seems like the reverse wouldn't be the case - if I get it set up for MX, I'll be fine in the woods, right?

I'm about an even 50/50 when it comes to where I ride right now. Woods riding seems to hone my "look ahead" skills - I find myself looking further ahead, trying to set myself up properly for the next obstacle. MX is just high on the adrenaline meter.

Can anyone offer me tips on what to tell the shop that does my suspension? J&M is pretty well known, but I've heard they're geared more towards MX, Southern Offroad Suspension is obviously geared more towards offroad..

Can I get the bike set up right in the middle of the two and adjust it one way or another for MX and offroad by using the clickers?

Help!

No, Modern MX suspension is unusable in woods racing. It will beat you to death. You need to decide whether riding MX or riding offroad is more important to you. I have a friend who races MX and Enduro / H/S. He won't consider riding his MX bike in the woods. He says it beats him and deflects off the roots and rocks. But works well on deep whoops and jumps. I personally would setup for the woods and then go in a couple compression clicks on both ends to ride a MX.

IMHO,

Dwight

I agree with woods suspension and stiffen it up for MX. My TE is set up for eastern rocks and roots. i just took it to the track and stiffened up the compression and it worked well. With that setup I bounced all over the place in the woods-slowed me down to a crawl.

But-I'm not a motocrosser so I may not be as aggressive as you.

Tell them you want plush initial to midstroke damping, but want to retain a good amount of high speed bottoming resistance.

My 05YZ250 has reshimmed OEM valve stacks, with re-set oil heights and is fairly plush in the rocks and roots with the comp clickers at 13 to 14 out. I turn them to ~10 for GP or MX.

This gives you a good soft initial stroke that soaks up rocks/roots but doesnt blow all the way throught the stroke when your hammering a fast section.

I dont like the super plush feel of enduro suspension (EXC, WR type set up). I go faster with a semi rigid set up, and maneuver rocks and ruts with ease.

Its always worked for me. My suspension tuner knows how I ride which also helps. It may take 2 or 3 shots to dial it in perfect.

Tell them you want plush initial to midstroke damping, but want to retain a good amount of high speed bottoming resistance.

My 05YZ250 has reshimmed OEM valve stacks, with re-set oil heights and is fairly plush in the rocks and roots with the comp clickers at 13 to 14 out. I turn them to ~10 for GP or MX.

This gives you a good soft initial stroke that soaks up rocks/roots but doesnt blow all the way throught the stroke when your hammering a fast section.

I dont like the super plush feel of enduro suspension (EXC, WR type set up). I go faster with a semi rigid set up, and maneuver rocks and ruts with ease.

Its always worked for me. My suspension tuner knows how I ride which also helps. It may take 2 or 3 shots to dial it in perfect.

Cisco, He doesn't ride in California. The suspension setups are much different.

Also he wants reduced high speed for the rocks and roots. Low speed is for whoops and bottoming on G outs.

Your suspension will not work properly in a Eastern Enduro or H/S. BUT by the same token, our suspension might not work as well as yours in the desert.

Cher'o,

Dwight