Sign in to follow this  

Ride with ONE radiator???

This weekend I was riding fast and laid my bike (wr 250f) down in a rut. After the dust cleared and my head, I found my left radiator was dripping coolant. I was about 9 miles from my truck so I rode it back. Temperature was aroun 55 degrees and I did not hit any long "power" runs going back. My raiator was still dripping hen I loaded it up.

As I now am "thinking" about it could I , should I.. have disconnected the hoses to the one damaged radiator and rode with one. Is this a wise move if I had the tools and parts to Plug the hoses........................Let me know in case of a second coming of the same type of crash................

I would do this only to return to truck. You would have to ride at lower RPM to prevent overheating and it still might.

Dwight

Thanks for the quick reply Dwight...........I did not over-rev my ride back.

The fact was I was riding SOLO and could not count on a tow. I don't think I had any hose clamps to plug the hoses on the left side. I will have some in my tool kit for a next time "hopefully not."

Thanks

As long as your radiator is jetted correctly it dosent matter.

You really think anyone believes you? Idiot. :banghead: :banghead:

If you crack the radiator cap to let it depressurize you will slow the leakage. Of course it will now it will be easier to boil over. Just disconnecting one radiator will block the flow since they are in series, right? You'd have to have enough hose to bypass the damaged one. If it was the one with the cap it'd be a bitch to fill the remaing one also. I'd patch it with some fast epoxy and limp home with the cap loose.

I have had this happen to me too. How can you tell if your bike is too hot? :banghead:

You can hear it when it boils. Sounds kind of like a freaky underwater popcorn maker. You'll know it when it happens. Plus, you can usually smell hot rad coolant dumping out.

yeah you wont miss the smell nor the burning eyes....if you really want to experience it go to a Harescramble and watch the lower classes get all bottle necked in the mud all they do is rev the engine and go no where....

you will also see the smoke (well vapor) pouring out of the breather tubes on the bottom of the bike.

All i have to say is that i dont stick around those areas long at all.

I can tell you that the KTM thumpers have enough tubing to run off one radiator. My buddy damaged his and we disconnected it and plugged the hole with an empty CO2 cartridge. Filled the remaining radiator and made it back 25 miles with no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_n_blue_thumper

I have had this happen to me too. How can you tell if your bike is too hot?

You can hear it when it boils. Sounds kind of like a freaky underwater popcorn maker. You'll know it when it happens. Plus, you can usually smell hot rad coolant dumping out.

Thanks for the reply. But I meant when you are low or out of coolant like when you have a leak. Is there any way to tell when you are damaging your motor. Thanks, BnB.

It will start pinging (pre-detonating), and will lose power, and then sieze. In that order.