Sign in to follow this  

Powercoating frame

I have my whole bike apart since i lost the main connecting rod bearing, anyway i was wondering if anyone has had their frame powdercoated and how it has held up. The reason i ask is because the powder-coating process requires them to bake the finish on in an oven, and i was wondering how this affects the heat treatment of the frame, i know that aluminum is very sensitive to annealing (softening) under heat and time. If anyone knows exact details let me know. I was considering anodizing, which i really love and it holds up great, we make tons of billet parts here at my company and have them anodized, but i really was thinking about doing an all flat black bike with some red pin stripes, just really plain and really black.

The part temp of Powder Coating is only 325 to 350 that will not temper the Alum. We powder coat Honda frames all the time and have for years, no problems. The PC will hold up better then any other color process out there. If you want to change the color of your frame then IMO that is the only way to go. Good luck.

Just did some misc parts and 400 degrees was the hottest we had on there. Excellent durability.

Have powder coated my frames for 20+ years and they look/work great *

i dont see how youre paying around 400 for this... i did mine and paid 150 for a custom color. you might want to look around.

dan

POST SOME PICTURES!! i am buying an 06 this week and wanted to go with the powder coated frame. any pics would be awesome :banghead::banghead:

I agree on 350.00 being to much. A local shop here does parts for Hot Rod magazine, custom dune buggies, and harleys...Show quality work. His price was 150.00.

I was considering powdercoating until I saw my friends bike. It is the best way to color your bike as it is the most durable, but it isn't bullet proof. His bike was powder coated 1 year ago and he has worn through it on the frame where his boots touch and several places where rocks hit. If you just have the straight metal, it is easier to just buff it out and it becomes barely noticeable.

Thanks for the heads up on price, i'm not really worrying about powdercoating hold up to that much ruthless riding, since im gonna turn the bike into a street legal supermoto bike. BTW Dan that thing is friggin sick!!!!!

I did some investigating of price, PCP (Powder Coating Plus) is who i was recommended to, they do bike frames all the time, and want the $360, i called a couple of other shops and they wanted like 175 for single coat, double for dual coat color, i'm going flat black so it's just a single coat. Has anyone had a bad powdercoating experience by going to the cheap guy to save a buck, I've always learned that you get what you pay for and sometimes by trying to save now you end up with a crappy job and have to redo it anyway.

DSC00114.jpg

dan

Very nice bike looks good with the red frame .I am just about to strip my 05 supermoto to get the frame powder coated black but can't decide what black to go for , a gloss or a matt.On the frame it looks like you have put something to protect the paint were your boots would rub , any chance of telling what it is? :banghead:

just carbon fiber guards. "carbon fiber works" i believe.

dan

Ah as simple as that, i thought it was some sort of grip compound .

mick