Sign in to follow this  

E-line carbon fiber parts for 250x

I recently bought the carbon fiber E-line skid plate and frame guards for my 2004 CRF250x.

I got them mounted o.k., but they didn't meet my expectations as far a design and mounting. Has anyone else noticed this?

1. The skid plate upper mounting bolts seemed to be too short. I ended up buying some longer bolts and after tightening them both, I was able to take one out and finally get the original one to work.

2. The skid plate lower mount (L-shape): 2 complaints 1) when you try to tighten it, it turns and comes off of the frame. 2) if it was just a little longer they could add a lip to it and get it to stick onto the frame better

3. The frame guards had no installation instructions and even with a spacer, when I tightened it to torque specs for the subframe bolts, it cracked. Not good for a new $90 part.

I saw many posts about how people like those parts, but I think they could definitely be improved. I love the look though!

I had the skid plate on my 450 and the mounts sucked. It's also a 1 yr skidplate in terms of durability if you ride in rocks.

The Flatland skidplate has the best mounts I've seen.

I use the lightspeed full skid plate on my X. It bolt on on both sides where the engine guards were,the back hooks over the frame in front of the linkage. It takes about 20 seconds to remove. It has provided good protection,even though it is not as thick and HEAVY as th E-line. It is pricey $180, but I found it worth it over the others as far as easy of install, looks and weight

Those carbon fiber parts sure do look sharp on your bike though, Mr. J. :banghead:

I just installed the Lightspeed frame guards on my 250x and had the same problem. I put (2) 3/8 SAE washers on each subframe bolt between the frame and the frame guard to prevent cracking, but the ends of the guards still bend out away from the frame a little when you torque down the bolt. I thought it would make the guards rattle with the engine running, but no problem yet. Seems a little odd and disappointing with this type of fit.

I had no problems with the skid plate fitment, but the frame protectors are not very good. They do not fully cover the frame, and they do crack when you tighten the subframe bolt. Better than nothing, though, and I can't return 'em.

For the type of money these parts cost they should fit much better. Couldn't they make it fit better around the oil filter also? It has to be removed to change the oil without making a huge mess. My buddy with a KTM525EXC just removes a pin and the whole plate comes off. Like Loop said "can't return 'em. Kind of a waste.