Sign in to follow this  

Best out the door price on NEW XR400R??

Ok, I have made the decision to buy another NEW XR400R. I do not care what year it is, as long as it is a new unit.

I am willing to travel 1000 miles from Portland, Oregon to pick it up.

What is the best OUT THE DOOR price you have seen within the area I am willing to travel? I do not want title work in the price...I just want to walk out with the bike and the MSO--I will title in Oregon myself.

I will be paying cash and want to purchase ASAP.

"My dad is a television repairman. He's got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

CLASSIC MOVIE, I went to high school with a buddy we use to call Spicoli.....brings back alot of memories. Ever seen the movie Fandago ??? you would love it !!!

Don't know about the price but if you can get the last year model the XR will be produced, I would jump on it!! My wife gave me a 2004 Xr400r for a SURPRISE christmas gift last year.... the local dealer said he could only find (2) new 2004 Xr400's in Texas one in Lubbock and one in Houston. which is about 350 miles way from where I live. My advice is to get it and not hagle too much about price because if you wait to long I'll guarantee you ......it will be GONE !!!

You North Americans may have trouble getting one.

We have plenty here in Australia - the rumour is that our dealers ordered bulk supplies when they heard the sad news. I know of 2 local dealers that had several on the floor 2 weeks ago, but they are more than 1000 miles from Portland.

They have been EXTREMELY popular here, because they are used extensively as work bikes on our sheep/cattle stations (sort of like a ranch without the big hats...). They are thrashed mercilessly and CRF450's and WR's will never replace them in this area - even DRZ's are seen as too dainty.

1000km oil changes ? I don't think so.

Cheers

PfM

I would not give more than 4000 otd. whatever bike you get will be 2 years old....

Good Luck Finding A New One...i Have An "04 For Sale That's Better Than New.

There are dozens of them here in the Northwest, I just do not want to pay $4900 for one, when I see them advertised for as low as $3799 in Texas.

I may be interested in yours. In fact, I bought a 2004 XR400 with 75 miles on it from a fellow Thumpertalk member, MJG, for $3500 and had it shipped to me from Pennsylvania. A GREAT BIKE and an GREAT GUY!

I would not give more than 4000 otd. whatever bike you get will be 2 years old....

Ideally, that is what I would like to pay, but I would be willing to go up to $4400-$4500 if I absolutely have to.

I know its not new and all, but I was in at the old Hillsboro honda or Hillsboro Motosports or something like that. A buddy of mine traded in his old 02 XR400 in on a quad after a back injury made it hard for him to ride the bike.

The bikes not new, but it has never been abused. He had me perform the gordon mods, as well as it having a superbrace fork brace and a white brothers e series pipe. This bike was well maintained, he even would wax the plastic on it. The carb is dialed in perfect for the TSF area.

Not sure if your interested, but I saw it was still sitting there for sale. Not sure what they are asking.

I believe this is a link to it.

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03100855X10K28K2005J1I17I49JPMQ656R0&veh=3032&pov=228672

I know its not new and all, but I was in at the old Hillsboro honda or Hillsboro Motosports or something like that. A buddy of mine traded in his old 02 XR400 in on a quad after a back injury made it hard for him to ride the bike.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a great bike, and knowing the history is a big plus.

Maybe I will have to swallow my pride and buy something from Scott "Cycle Shyster" Russell.

I guess a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

:banghead::banghead: Dude,If I was any where near Oregon I would buy that bike right now,It was dam clean and already had after market exhaust.Knowing the durability of an XR,that bike isnt no where close to being ragged out.You better move quick I"ll assure you that bike will be history soon. XRRon

If you are serious at looking at the bike you can PM me with any questions about it. I basically took it from bone stock and really made it rip with just some fine tuning. 5 minutes to dial the carb in and when I did, no hesitation at all.

My bike is a blast to ride with all the mods, but after I did the gordon mods to that bike it was a toss up which one I liked better. The power of that bike is down right smooth, compared snappy power of my bike.

I could even tell you how much they gave him trade in if that might help in talking them down a bit.

If you do get it, I have the stock snorkel sitting on the shelf if you would want it back...........lol

If your still looking for a new one, Elk Grove Cycle Center has one. stopped by today for some parts. Sticker said $5299 but it might be worth a call? elkgrovecycle.com Its right near Sacramento

Gilroy Motorcycle Center had a couple of em last week. (in California)

List price was $4400.00 but you might be able to talk em down.

a1scoot :banghead:

Gilroy Motorcycle Center had a couple of em last week. (in California)

List price was $4400.00 but you might be able to talk em down.

I would NOT recommend giving your money to Gilroy Motorcycle Center. I suppose if you can get a good deal on a bike there, then yeah, go for it I guess -- you gotta take a good deal where you find one...

But... do NOT EVER use Gilroy Motorcycle again for service or parts purchasing. They will rape you on their parts pricing, and their service dept. is staffed by a bunch of drunken monkeys in clown costumes. I've been there twice for service (you'd think I would've learned the first time they screwed up).

For parts and service in the south bay area, I recommend Faultline Motorsports in Hollister (they don't sell bikes though).

Oh, and the couple of XR4s I remember seeing at GMC were used. Low miles, but definitely used (I could be wrong on that). $4,400 seems like an awfully low price on an unused XR4 in this area (with its inflated prices on everything). I'd be really surprised if GMC was offering that good a deal, since usually they try to rape you coming and going...

I would NOT recommend giving your money to Gilroy Motorcycle Center. I suppose if you can get a good deal on a bike there, then yeah, go for it I guess -- you gotta take a good deal where you find one...

But... do NOT EVER use Gilroy Motorcycle again for service or parts purchasing. They will rape you on their parts pricing, and their service dept. is staffed by a bunch of drunken monkeys in clown costumes. I've been there twice for service (you'd think I would've learned the first time they screwed up).

For parts and service in the south bay area, I recommend Faultline Motorsports in Hollister (they don't sell bikes though).

Oh, and the couple of XR4s I remember seeing at GMC were used. Low miles, but definitely used (I could be wrong on that). $4,400 seems like an awfully low price on an unused XR4 in this area (with its inflated prices on everything). I'd be really surprised if GMC was offering that good a deal, since usually they try to rape you coming and going...

Holy cow, are you ever right...what a bunch of a&& clowns!

I called (I didn't know it was called Abernathy's) and got the rudest lady for reception. She forwarded my call to sales, and get this...the sales man didn't even know what an XR400 was.

After much explanation that I did not want an XR650L, that I was certain that I didn't want the "450 fourstroke [CRF450X}," and having to explain that the XR advertised was a new 2004 model, and was indeed an XR400R, I was told that "Well, those ads are placed so far out that they really don't mean anything.

And their hold message says that they have over 50 years customer service experience. I can't believe they run a business like that.

Somethings wrong here. I will check out the shops name again tonight as I cant believe it is the same place. Maybe I got the name wrong. The sales staff were very professional and knowledgeable.Will post any correction

when I get home.

Yeah, the place I'm talking about is right there in downtown Gilroy, on the main street that runs right through the center of town. Pretty sure it's called "Gilroy Motorcycle Center". As far as I know it's the only cycle shop in the downtown area there.

Their sales staff may very well be professional and knowledgeable. I don't remember anything negative about that part of their business when I bought 2 bikes and a trailer from them back in 2000. (except that I realized later I paid too much; but that's my bad, not theirs... )

But their Service dept. is what I'm talking about...

I brought in my XR with a sticky throttle about 3 years ago (now I'd just fix that myself), and rather than take it off or mess with the cable adjustments or try to FIGURE OUT what was causing the problem, the dumb kid was trying to spray WD-40 between the throttle tube and the handlebar to fix the problem. And his boss was just standing there looking at him do this! And they wanted to charge me 1.0 hrs. labor for a few squirts of WD-40!

My most recent problem with them is already written about in another thread. Total incompetence.

You may have a great bike BUYING experience with them. Be wary of their svc. dept is all I'm saying...

Hope he gets his XR at a good price, no matter who it's from. :banghead:

AHRMA17L: Dude, you really have 12 bikes? That's way too much maintenance, even if they were all XRs! :banghead:

Hope he gets his XR at a good price, no matter who it's from. :banghead:

AHRMA17L: Dude, you really have 12 bikes? That's way too much maintenance, even if they were all XRs! :banghead:

Well, truth be told I have 38 bikes right now.

What is sick is that at one time I had a over 160 bikes with 95% of them prepped and ready to race. I do not count bikes that are not ridable, so that is not including the parts bikes I had.

Almost all of them were pristine vintage motocross bikes I had collected over a period of 15 years. I believe that I had some of the finest exaples of several bikes in the world

I sold most of them on eBay from 2001-2004, with most of them goin into private collection of for display at motorcycle shops.

The bikes not new, but it has never been abused. He had me perform the gordon mods, as well as it having a superbrace fork brace and a white brothers e series pipe. This bike was well maintained, he even would wax the plastic on it. The carb is dialed in perfect for the TSF area.

Not sure if your interested, but I saw it was still sitting there for sale. Not sure what they are asking.

I believe this is a link to it.

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03100855X10K28K2005J1I17I49JPMQ656R0&veh=3032&pov=228672

Tony, THANKS!

I looked at it yesterday, and paid for it today. It is on my trailer as we speak.

Looks like a pretty good bike...there are some replacement parts (front fender, cheesy TYC chain) and some slight lower frame damage before the skid plate was installed, and I have not checked to see if the swingarm pivot is free, but overall, I think it will serve the purpose.

Once again, thanks for the heads up.