Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400sm as a Dirt bike too??

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to mount a smaller rotor up front to run a second set of dirt wheels?

I'm sure you could but your forks and shocks are not valved or sprung for MX. Duning maybe, but nothing else. Mine isn't and it's stock except for FMF full exhaust. Better off leaving it off the trails.

Stumpy :banghead:

just stick on a set a e wheels,the front rotor will bolt up to the front hub.if you want to put on a front e rotor you going to have to get a different caliper mounting bracket.i have already gone off road with my sm and as long as i don't go over the bikes tires ability it works alright....well sort of.better off getting the e wheels

I've got the E wheels on my SM right now. Check my garage for pics. I'm just running the SM rotor.

You would have to change the forks to 2001 and up RM forks or make some weird custom bracket to get the smaller rotor on.

I'm sure you could but your forks and shocks are not valved or sprung for MX. Duning maybe, but nothing else. Mine isn't and it's stock except for FMF full exhaust. Better off leaving it off the trails.

Stumpy 😛

Dirt bike yes. MX bike NOOOOOOOO

I treat my SM like a dirtbike every weekend - poor thing comes home covered in mud

It depends on you as a rider, I do fine on 17" street tires as long as there's no steep climbing, deep mud etc

Considering trying out some 17" knobbies for the next rubber, rather than having to have two sets of wheels

Get a set of E, K, or S wheels, Put Knobbies on. Put a 44T sprocket on the back and SM rotors on. You can change out in about 15 minutes.

You can ride the tamer MX tracks but it will not do Triples and huge tabletops.

Heck, I saw a 6'7" guy riding MX on a stripped down KLR 650.

ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!

It works. Leave the big rotor on.

You can hit big jumps with it, just make sure it's sprung properly for your weight.

3358612362_bef04b045f_o.jpg

3358612140_2d41000254_o.jpg

It works. Leave the big rotor on.

You can hit big jumps with it, just make sure it's sprung properly for your weight.

3358612362_bef04b045f_o.jpg

3358612140_2d41000254_o.jpg

NICE!

and this drz goes to full race SuMo if I remember correctly. GReat DRZ man.