DRZ400S gas tank and mileage question??

My friends Dad approached me yesterday and asked me about a DRZ400S, and wanted to know what the range on one of them is, (miles to a tank) and if he could get a bigger tank?? I know you can get a bigger tank, but what kind of range are you guys getting with these?? Stock or otherwise??

Thanks a bunch.

I don't really check, because I don't really care. But, I do know that I put the 3.2 gallon IMS tank on my bike and I rode from 9AM until I stopped for lunch at 12PM during the Shennandoah 500 (mix of fire roads and hard surface). Ran the crap out of the bike and it took exactly 2 gallons to fill up. That probably helps you none at all.

• Like 1

S model stock tank. Stock bike (performance wise) except 3x3 mod and rejet.

I get anywhere from 95-115 miles before reserve depending on how agressively I ride. (47-57 mpg).

My understanding is that the stock tank has a 10 Liter capacity (2.6 Gallons) including a 2.3 liter reserve (.6 gallons).

-

• Like 1

what kind of range are you guys getting with these?? Stock or otherwise??

Thanks a bunch.

My S has the following mods that relate to gas mileage/range:

14/44 gearing

3x3 Airbox intake

Full Yosh RS-3 system (stock Tec Insert)

DJ Kit w/burned/bronco recommended settings

Teraflex II rear tire (not sure if this would affect gas mileage but it might make it to be a little on the low side)

I average around 47 to 48 mpg for street riding

I average around 40 mpg on agressive off road riding

I have the stock tank that holds around 2.6 gallons so my range is about 80-96 miles before going on reserve. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for all the replies. He is looking to get (2) 400s 2006 models for him and his wife, lucky ba**ards!!! Anyways, he just wants to get the most miles per tank that he can in case of an emergency, (natural disaster) or otherwise. So, im thinking the IMS tank, with a small rack on the back (luggage rack) or something with a small reserve gas tank should at least get him 200 miles depending on how big the other gas tank is??

• Like 1

I f he's looking for max range then be sure to tell him that the drz is very sensative to speed. My bone stock and brand new (first 1000 km break-in consisted of a 1000km/1day ride) drz went 220 km without hitting reserve by travelling at speeds between 70 and 90 km/h in an effort to extend my range (late at night in rural canada on a sunday/monday so rare fuel). Normal range on highway at 120km/h was 140km to reserve, at 100km/h was 160km to reserve, at 80 was 220km (see the curve?) and I spent all last year driving from fuel to fuel. I bought a 4 gal clarke (measured with room temp water from a graduated jug with tank in riding position-science lab stuff) and now I dont worry about fuel-I just ride the wheels off of it -4 rear tires this summer and we have another month left!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90 miles on the street and 55 miles in the dirt before hitting reserve. I ran out of gas the very first time I took it out on a dirt ride. clarke 3.9 gallon tank was a must for me, I often ride 60 or more miles in the dirt between beers at camp.

• Like 1

Depends on what type of riding...

Hard off-road riding I get 20 to 25 mpg (with FCR/Yosh)...

I can pretty much drain my IMS 4 gallon tank in about 100 hard offroad miles...

Road riding the mileage goes way up (Staying off the FCR's accerlator pump)...

I average 48 mpg (US GAL) near 58 using imperial. That is road use right now at 70 - 80 mph in mixed riding, some city / interstate. I just put a Clarke 3.9 (US GAL) on and it should really help. I have a 50 mile commute and with the stock tank, on the second day the last bit is always on reserve.

Mine kicks to reserve with the stock tank with 2.7 liters remaining (.7 US GAL)usually. Not sure with the Clarke. I did mark the Clarke the first time I filled it so now I have a fuel gauge as well.

In the dirt I would get less than 40 mpg (imperial) some days.