Sign in to follow this  

Dual Registration in CA

I've got a plated XR650 in which I would like to get a green sticker for also. I like to remove the dual sport kit in teh dez & support the ORV community. I figure the green sticker is the way to do it.

However, I am very concerned that by attempting to dual register my bike it may set-off some DMV clerk who will then pull my plate. :banghead:

Has anyone successfully done this or have any advice?

I dont know how to advise you other than say get the camping permit for the area you are going to ride at. If they have these camping permits/fees this will put the money toward the OHV center. Most importantly if your bike has a DS kit mod on it to get the plates... You will not give some cocky little dmv clerk the option of pulling you plate from your bike.

Your green sticker money probably won't help do anything for the sport. You would be better off finding an organization that really does help and donating that money to them. As far as taking off your light in the dez, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as your not riding like an idiot, I doubt you would have a problem. Even if you did, what could they do, give you a fix it ticket?

If you want to help off-roading in CA join CORVA.

Keep the plates, they are very difficult to obtain now.

If your bike is street legal it's my understanding that it already is green sticker legal - meaning you don't need the sticker in order to ride. You're good to go any time the facility is open. Is someone telling you otherwise?

Jim in Santa Barbara

If you have a plate you can ride anywhere a green sticker bike can. Technically a ranger can give you a ticket if your bike does not have all the appropriate street equipment. If you go with dual reg (i.e. plate & green sticker) then you do not have to be fully street legal (i.e. - you can remove the dual sport stuff and ride legally without it) in a sticker area.

PBDBlue - That's exactly what I want to do. I hear the rest of you on joining an ORV org being a better way to support the sport. But I still want to have the ability to remove all the D/S equipment, plate included and not get hassled.

Maybe in the end the hassle factor is a worthwhile price for not risking losing the plate.

If you have a plate you can ride anywhere a green sticker bike can. Technically a ranger can give you a ticket if your bike does not have all the appropriate street equipment. If you go with dual reg (i.e. plate & green sticker) then you do not have to be fully street legal (i.e. - you can remove the dual sport stuff and ride legally without it) in a sticker area.

I Deify anyone to site what CAVC or CCR were you need all of your on highway lights off road. Same myth as the steel gas tank.

If some one was sited by a LEO this is easy win in court by person or written declaration. Just like you do not need to wear a helmet while off road othere than a SRVA. not that I would condone not wearing one.

I like the idea of having both Green sticker and a Plate. I rarely put the plate on my bike (unless I'm doing a DS ride or know I'll be connecting trails). I like to be able to just pull up to a SRVA without my plate on and KNOW I'm good to go, and the Green sticker costs almost nothing.

However, if it's not already Green I wouldn't chance getting your plate pulled. My opinion is to leave well enough alone.

Dsrt 14 is WRONG! I coach football with several LA County Sheriffs and a Burbank PD. I asked them specifically about this. I Cali, if you have a plate and no green sticker, you do need to be fully street legal to ride off road...yes, even the mirror. Of course, the tendency of the officer to write a ticket is somehow related to your attitude and courtesy.

Anyway, to get dual registration, you just go into the DMV, 'splain to them what you want to do. They will make you complete a form, and write, in your own words, that you are requesting dual registration and that you understand that you are paying licensing fees twice paying licensing fees twice. You pay your twenty bucks and walk away with a green sticker as long as your bike is green sticker legal. If your bike isn't green sticker legal, I would not suggest even trying this.

My WR is dual registered, and the one time I got stopped (by a San Berdoo Co Sheriff) for a registration check, he started to 'splain that I really needed to have a mirror to be legal, he looked at the green sticker and said have a nice day.

Just a small piece of information:

I had both of my XRR's 'dual' registered before the deadline for a green sticker and plate. When the green stickers didn't show up but the plates did, I called the DMV hotline and got things sorted out by a clerk. However, before he understood the situation, the clerk thought I had a street legal bike that had no green sticker and never had one and that I was trying to get the green sticker now (IE your position), which he told me isn't possible after the California DS rule changes.

I have no idea how getting a green sticker is related to the California DS rule changes, but that's what he said. Then again, I had to explain 6 times that my bike had been set up for dual registration prior to the deadline, not after, and that the clerk must have screwed up. So, YMMV.

If you think green sticker money will help riding check out the post in the California section about green sticker money in LA. They want to use green sticker money for law enforcement. Isn't that the total opposite of what the money is suppose to be used for? :banghead:

Yep. Much of the green sticker money is being diverted. It's not being used for it's intended purpose.

Support CORVA, the Blue Ribbon Coalition, Stewards of the Sierra, etc.

And ride some trails while you still can.

I'm going to a USFS meeting tonight in Santa Barbara to learn about their new use plan for the Los Padres Forest.

It's a PITA but we have to all take time and get involved, send money, etc.

We have been consistently losing ground for years on these issues. Every time they come up with a new ruling or plan, we end up with less access.

Not good.

Jim in Santa Barbara

Dsrt 14 is WRONG! I coach football with several LA County Sheriffs and a Burbank PD. I asked them specifically about this. I Cali, if you have a plate and no green sticker, you do need to be fully street legal to ride off road...yes, even the mirror. Of course, the tendency of the officer to write a ticket is somehow related to your attitude and courtesy.

Anyway, to get dual registration, you just go into the DMV, 'splain to them what you want to do. They will make you complete a form, and write, in your own words, that you are requesting dual registration and that you understand that you are paying licensing fees twice paying licensing fees twice. You pay your twenty bucks and walk away with a green sticker as long as your bike is green sticker legal. If your bike isn't green sticker legal, I would not suggest even trying this.

My WR is dual registered, and the one time I got stopped (by a San Berdoo Co Sheriff) for a registration check, he started to 'splain that I really needed to have a mirror to be legal, he looked at the green sticker and said have a nice day.

Ask them what section they are going to cite ???? they can' t.

as I said it's like the steel gas tank myth.

Wow, I was going to quote one post but then saw something is each post that could be addressed!

As long as you had your plate prior to the deadline there is nothing that can be done to you. Go ahead and get your greenie. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

You can be cited if you don't have all the parts required to be "street legal" even in the dirt! Once you have the plate on your bike you are subject to a whole slew of CVC violations that you were not subject to previously. CHP Form 888 http://www.electrexusa.com/Images/instr.frm.888.pdf lists all the necessary equipment. Anything missing may mean a ticket even if you are off road! You also need a license, registration and insurance if it has a plate. The steel tank isn't a myth, it's just misunderstood. It is a DOT requirement for manufacturers, and then there are loopholes!

In CA a m/c must be registered. If it is off road only then you are under the green/red rules. If plated those are the rules you must follow. Most of the rules are based on the vehicle registration, NOT where you are riding! Unless you are riding a dirt bike on the street.

(One tip, each DMV office has a CHP liason that they consult on unfamiliar issues. If you call the office you are going to you can find out the officers name and station. Then contact him to see if he is familiar with what you are trying to do. Build a bridge! Then when you get to the DMV office and hit a wall, tell them to contact Officer ... It's amazing how they change! It got my done very quickly! Oh, make sure you ask him what his shift is so you can schedule your appointment to DMV on the same day/time we works!).

Yeah, I wouldn't give another voluntary dime to the green sticker fund thiefs.

They have stolen millions from that fund and what do we get from it?

There are fewer riding areas now than there were when they started that worthless (to riders) green sticker program ( in 1971 ?).

I agree, send your money to a riders rights org.

Also, I ask you to write a letter to each of the big 4 motorcycle manufactures, tell them you will not buy another new bike from them unless they start fighting the land use battle with some of their funds and/or lawyers.

There is an article concerning this exact subject in the May 2004 issue of "Free 2 Wheel" magazine (which is published in So. Cal.).

In a monthly installment called "Ask The Sergeant" an officer from Calif. answers questions from readers regarding motorcycles and the law.

It is a 2 page article, so I will paraphrase, in that article, he disagrees with your football coach cops.

When asked if you are required to have the street equipment on your "Dual Sport Bike" when operating it off road, he states "NO!" and goes on to explain why.

When asked if you need a green sticker on your street plated bike to ride it off road, he states "NO!" and again, explains why one is not needed and cites the vehicle code sections and numbers relating to both questions.

I tried to find a link to this article on line but could not, but I do have the article in front of me.

If anyone would like to get a copy of this article, PM me.

The officer states that it would be a good idea to carry a copy of this article in your fanny/back pack when riding, to show to any over zealous cops/rangers who may be confused about this area of the vehicle code.

http://www.free2wheel.com/HTML/2004/May/May_2004.html

here's the link, but it doesn't seem to be the complete article.

Yeah, it isn't complete, that is why I didn't put that link on here.

I think I will make some xerox copies and anyone who would like a copy can send a self addressed stamped envelope.

On this past Saturday a couple of my riding buddies & I were riding in the San Bernardino mountains. We were parked on a green sticker road when we were approached by a BLM Ranger.

He wanted to check our bikes for green stickers and spark arrestors.

I was riding my green stickerd KTM and my buddies were riding XR 400's.

One had a Calif. street plate & one was street plated in Arizona.

The Ranger tried to tell us that street plated bikes needed to have all the street required equipment when riding off the highway.

He asked my friend with the Arizona bike where his turn signals were and my friend told him that Arizona does not require turn signals.

He walked away mumbling something about people sticking a plate on a dirt bike and thinking they can ride anywhere they want.

He repeted this to the guy with the Calif. plate, telling him he needed proof of insurance, along with all the street equipment, BUT, did not issue any tickets.

Maybe he knew that such a ticket would not hold up in court.

He then told us that if a rider wants to ride a street plated bike on OHV trails without the street equipment that they would need to get a green sticker also.

Like I said, he didn't issue any tickets, I believe they want you to think that a green sticker is required on a street plated bike being ridden off the highway so that more people will buy green stickers which will help preserve the funding for his job.