Sign in to follow this  

any suggestions?

I recently began having problems with my 04 rmz cutting off when coming into corners and not idling properly while in gear, so I used the search engine and found that it is most likely due to the cdi box. I bought this bike 3rd hand, which probably wasn't the greatest idea because the guy I bought it from knew nothing about any of the recalls or the bike in general. I looked for aftermarket CDI boxes, but I really don't want to spend the $400 needed to get a box that I actually trust putting on my bike. I also went on to the kawasaki site and put in my vin # to see if my bike was recalled, but it did not comply with the # i entered :banghead: . I am beginning to get extremely frustrated with this whole problem, so if anyone has a cdi box for sale or knows where I can get one for a decent price please help me out.

i have an aftermarket cdi for an 04'.... 50$...i bought it from a racing shop online and he claimed it was for an 05' well it wouldnt work so i returned it and he sent the same thing back to me and my bike wont start with it on still..it clearly was marked on the back and sais 04' kx250f..

What brand is the CDI box? I may be interested in purchasing it. I really didn't want to go aftermarket, but it's starting to look like my only choice.

it sais magnum pro parts on the package..i ordered it off some website (cant remember cuz its been a year) who just makes cdi boxes for dirtbikes/quads etc...they had good reviews... all i know is my 05' wouldnt start when it was pluged in..i noticed it sais 04 on it so i figured thats why it wont work since 04/05 have different ignition system...but u should just go to a suzuki/kawasaki dealer to find out about the re-call no matter if the bike used or ur the 3rd owner its a manufacturer's defect so u'll be covered...the website sometimes isnt gunna work perfect

I tried calling my local suzuki dealer to get some info, but the woman in the parts department sounded totally confused and wasn't helpful at all.

If you look on Ebay you might find one for a decent price, but you gotta watch out some are junk. Just look at the feedback that the seller has

there is definately no reason for an aftermarket box, you do not want to be revving the engine any more than the original cdi box can, also there is a recall on the box, just take the bike to the kawi shop, and they install a new for free, that will take care of the bogging or whatever.

I recently began having problems with my 04 rmz cutting off when coming into corners and not idling properly while in gear, so I used the search engine and found that it is most likely due to the cdi box. I bought this bike 3rd hand, which probably wasn't the greatest idea because the guy I bought it from knew nothing about any of the recalls or the bike in general. I looked for aftermarket CDI boxes, but I really don't want to spend the $400 needed to get a box that I actually trust putting on my bike. I also went on to the kawasaki site and put in my vin # to see if my bike was recalled, but it did not comply with the # i entered :banghead: . I am beginning to get extremely frustrated with this whole problem, so if anyone has a cdi box for sale or knows where I can get one for a decent price please help me out.

Before you lash out for a new CDI I would be checking the valve clearances. Those symptoms you described are what happens when the clearances have closed up. Eliminate that problem first then start on the CDI

The cdi recall was for hard starting.. not cutting out... your bike likely has the updated box already. Look close at the printing on the cdi.. A good box is #21119-0038. If you have a cdi with the 0018, or 0024 part number, it will be replaced no-charge..