Sign in to follow this  

Perfect DS for my wife, suggestions please!

She's 5'3", 105lbs. She's done about 1000 miles on her '03 Super Sherpa, half on tarmac, half on dirt (she's got a dirt bike as well).

While the Sherpa is perfect for the off-pavement stretches of our adventure rides, she could use something with a bit more top-end for the road. I used to think a lowered BMW F650 would be the ticket, but after our last trip, I'm thinking it's way too heavy (I'm close to dumping my beloved 95GS pig for a 650 Dakar or KLR to shed the weight.).

It would be great to get a bike in the 300-325lb. range that could burst to 80-85, cruise at 70, lowered to 32", with a bigger tank and aftermarket screen. Has anyone been able to modify a DRZ400 to that height? Any other suggestions? Oh, it's also got to be an electric start, with 100 or so extra watts for heated clothing. Am I asking too much? :banghead:

Darn it I was gonna say an old XT350 like I have. That thing cruises around 70 fine and goes 95-100mph top speed. But no it is not electric start. The DRZ is a very tall and very stiff bike and the seat is famous for not being comfortable. Even if slightly lowered its still what it is. I would say the KLR or the DR650. The xr650 is nice but they say its geared significantly low for highway. Those bikes are heavy and the weights higher so keep that in mind. The DRZ would be my choice anyday but like I said its tall, stiff, and can be a little uncomfy for long trips.