Sign in to follow this  

YZ suspension for woods

I've been woods riding my YZ426 for almost a year now and really want to do something (short of revalving) for a softer ride on the trail. I'm 215lbs and so was the previous owner approximately. He rode track only and had put Racetech 48's in the front and left the rear stock. I've got those original springs but don't if I should put them back in to soften it up. Can someone tell me the size these OEM springs are. And, if the bike comes set up for a 160lb track rider, would it be about right for a 215lb woods rider.

Goosedog,

Put the .46s back in, start with a fluid level of 120mm. Put a zip ty around one of the fork legs to check how much travel you are using, adjust fork fluid level accordingly.

Take care, John

Goosedog,

Put the .46s back in, start with a fluid level of 120mm. Put a zip ty around one of the fork legs to check how much travel you are using, adjust fork fluid level accordingly.

Take care, John

Thanks John, I'll do that. But explain to me how the indicated travel (via zip-tie), will dictate the needed fluid level. Is there a reference chart somewhere that I can see how much travel requires so much fluid? :banghead:

Thanks ~Mark

Goose,

Installing a zipty will indicate how much travel you are using. You want to use all travel, without harsh bottoming.

If you are not using all travel (within 2") I would reccomend removing 25cc of fluid at a time. If you are further than 2", remove 50cc.

Keep us informed of your progress..

Take Care, John

the more fluid there is in the forks the less the zip tie will travel towards the bottom of the fork when hitting big bumps like whoops, but it is also very dependent on the compression setting of the fork too. I think you need to have enough fluid in the forks to allow for full bottoming of the zip tie`(withing 1" - 1/2" of the bottom of the fork) with the compression clicker set at factory setting.

I just got my forks back from the local shop tonight. I had them return 'em to stock set up, stock springs and 5weight oil filled to 130mm. I'll ride like that tomorrow and see where to go from there. Thanks for all the input, I'll post what I end up doing so as to help out anyone else in the same boat. ~Mark

PLEASE POST BACK!! i am in dire need of some suspension settings. CAn you tell me what they set the stock settings back up to? If you dont know would it be in the manual?

PLEASE POST BACK!! i am in dire need of some suspension settings. CAn you tell me what they set the stock settings back up to? If you dont know would it be in the manual?

Ok...here are the factory settings:

front fork rebound- 11 clicks out

front fork compression- 10

rear shock rebound- 10 clicks out

rear shock compession- 12 to 14

I really liked the bike in the woods today way better with the Racetechs out and everything back to factory.( I had never ridden it that way before) All I've got still to do is properly set the sag, then I'm leaving it stock and riding the hell out of it.

Goosedog

Try setting the sag at 105mm and run the forks so only the caps are above the top triple clamp. The 426 benefitted from a little additional trail (front tends to push) and this setting will provide more front wheel grip. The steering will possibly feel a little heavier but the extra grip will actually allow you to hold a tighter line.

The Duck

Hey Duck, fork are already set as you described. From what point are you measuring the 105mm for the sag? And is that as good as me doing the sag set-up as per my weight?

Place the bike on a pit stand so that the rear wheel is off the ground. Measure vertically from the rear axle to a point on the rear guard. Record this measurement. Take the bike off the stand and have someone hold it for you. Mount the bike in the standing position holding onto the bars. Don't lean forward. Don't lean back. Just be in the middle. Have someone else measure between the same two points again. This time it should be 105mm less than the original measurement. If not, adjust your spring preload to suit.

The Duck

Place the bike on a pit stand so that the rear wheel is off the ground. Measure vertically from the rear axle to a point on the rear guard. Record this measurement. Take the bike off the stand and have someone hold it for you. Mount the bike in the standing position holding onto the bars. Don't lean forward. Don't lean back. Just be in the middle. Have someone else measure between the same two points again. This time it should be 105mm less than the original measurement. If not, adjust your spring preload to suit.

The Duck

Silly me, I thought you were making a reference to a measurement on the shock spring itself and not the difference in sag from two fixed points on the bike. My bad. :banghead:

Hello, I was just wondering if you would be interested in selling the .48 Kayaba fork springs that you took out of your bike I am in the market for that exact spring rate and a, hoping I could take them off your hands. You can post a reply on this topic and I will check back frequently.

Hello, I was just wondering if you would be interested in selling the .48 Kayaba fork springs that you took out of your bike I am in the market for that exact spring rate and a, hoping I could take them off your hands. You can post a reply on this topic and I will check back frequently.

They're Racetech .48's and sure I'll sell 'em to ya for half what they're new.