2000 XR200R Shifting Issue

My son has a 2000 XR200R. It is difficult to get into first gear. Once it is in, there is no problem. But coming out of neutral into first can take a few stabs or some sort of technique. He also reports that downshifting to first can be a hit and miss proposition. How deep am I going to have to dig? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I belive to fix a clutch u need to split the case.Before doing any of that i would check the cable. I had problems with my XR80 the cable wasnt working correctly allowing it to work half of the times. But like you said it seems to me only in first gear.

The clutch is on the left side of the engine! Good luck. Socal is a expert along with alot of others i am sure they will help you out.

you don't have to split the cases you do have to remove the the right side case and clutch and oil filter and a few more parts to get to the shift star and spindle for these are the two parts that you need to replace to fix your shifting problem.

you don't have to split the cases you do have to remove the the right side case and clutch and oil filter and a few more parts to get to the shift star and spindle for these are the two parts that you need to replace to fix your shifting problem.

Well i figured that was spliting a case. MY BAD :banghead:

Good news. I had a problem similar to this on an old KTM 500. Is there a source on the web where I can see exploded views and part numbers on the web similar to KTM? While I dont doubt your counsel, nothing worse than the deer in the headlights look the children behind the parts counter typically give if you get the technical name for the part wrong. Good news on the case splitting issue. Had some concern in the back of my mind that it might be a shifter fork or something. If it is only behind the side cover I should be in good shape. Unless someone tells me differently, I will ask for a "shift star" and a "spindle". Thanks

What you need is the gearshift cam (shift star) #24411-446-650 (non gouging) dealer price (North West USA) $28.32, and a gearshift plate #24621-446-650 $8.07.?

I have a hunch KLX365 meant to say plate, not spindle. The shift spindle is the shaft the shifter lever is attached to, if it's not bent and binding in the case it is usually fine! :banghead:

I just fixed one with a shift plate/star problem, had to rob parts and order new to replace them........what a pain! :banghead:

Do youself a BIG favor..............get a Genuine Honda service manual and the proper tools!!!?

Old School Al

Had a similar problem. WHat is interesting, I was performing some maintance and adjusting the idle, idle was a little too high. After I turned the idle down some, no problem shofting into first. What do you think, is this a temporary solution for an upcoming problem?

the deer in the headlights look the children behind the parts counter typically give you

Ha Ha Ha ! Stunned mullet -- Baffled wombat -- and -- Bewildered beast -- are terms that come to my mind even if you ask for the right part !