400E vrs. 400S

that's right, the question begins and ends with your dept. of vehicle license. IF they will license an "E" then buy the E. end of question...in Oregon metro area they won't but I hear other places will.

Why is that?

My buddy's KLX400R (green DRZ400E), is just as comfy on the road as my DRZ400S.

The seat is identical, and so is the suspension.

:banghead:

My OE S seat is conciderably more plush than my buddy's OE E seat. Period. His '05 E feels similar to my bro's '05 RMZ seat. Not identical, but quite stiff.

Peace,

Dan

that's right, the question begins and ends with your dept. of vehicle license. IF they will license an "E" then buy the E. end of question...in Oregon metro area they won't but I hear other places will.

Are you sure? I live in the Portland area and have heard WR450's, and crf 450's haven't been a problem to get plates. Can you tell me more? I am seriously considering buying an E and getting it plated.

My OE S seat is conciderably more plush than my buddy's OE E seat. Period. His '05 E feels similar to my bro's '05 RMZ seat. Not identical, but quite stiff.

How old is your 'S' model, dude?!

My 04 'S' has a seat that is absolutely 'identical' to my buddy's 03 KLX400R (green DRZ400E).

Naturally a brand new bike will have a seat that feels a lot stiffer than an older bike.

Watch out for uneducated saleperson. Do your homework. I thought I did mine, but relied on the salesman too much. He was not up to speed on the details. I chose the S, but found I really only needed to ride on the street once in awhile. Here in Idaho, U.S. registering the E for street is not a problem. Get the details from your local motor vehicle dept in writing.

Here are some basic differences between the two models.

S comes with street tires, not worth much for offroad use, the E has knobbies.

The new models have the same suspension. No cush any longer, it added weight, and price to manufacturing.

The gear box ratios are the same. The E does come with different sprockets for more lower end power, the S is geared for faster speeds. I changed my sprockets front and rear long ago for more hill power since I don't ride much faster than 60 mph for extended periods.

The S has a Mikuni CV carb, (constant volume), the E has the Keihin FCR w/ accelerator pump for quicker throttle response.

The E has a thinner head gasket, this increases compression.

The S comes with a vacuum operated gas cock valve. I have had to replace this twice at $ 70.00 U.S. each. The first one gummed up from me not draining all the fuel for the winter, the second one started leaking at the valve body gasket. No rebuild parts are available. I ordered the standard valve that comes with the E today. Am converting. Tired of problems. Kind of screwed up my hunting trip last week due to the valve body leaking fuel all over. Use only premium fuel. Winterize properly.

They have different cams. The E has approximately 6 hp more than the S.

The E has rim locks for off road action to prevent tire to wheel spin, the S does not.

Plastic fuel tank for the E, metal for the S. I installed a larger capacity plastic desert tank right after I realized that plastic handles trauma a little better than metal.

If I had to do it over again I would get the E over the S any day. The extra power, lighter weight, and more durable for off road. Hope this helps.

Crazy Willy

How old is your 'S' model, dude?!

My 04 'S' has a seat that is absolutely 'identical' to my buddy's 03 KLX400R (green DRZ400E).

Naturally a brand new bike will have a seat that feels a lot stiffer than an older bike.

Yeah, my seat is anything but plush, feels like its stuffed with bricks ('05 S). Felt exactly the same as the KLX, SM and the E that sat next to it on the showroom floor.

As far as buying an E or S, I wouldn't get either DRZ if you can easily plate a ds-kitted bike in your area. The DRZ is a great reliable bike, but if I was in somewhere other than Nazi York I'd be selling off the DRZ quicker than you can say "Husky". Hey, that reminds me..... If you don't want to DS kit a bike and just want to roll off the floor with it check out the new Huskies.

Couple things not already posted.

The S has lower compression and actually doesn't mind low grade pump gas. If you ride alot it helps. My other requires high test and with bad mileage it's expensive.

It is street LEGAL everywhere I expect to move around a fair amount I don't want to screw around any more than I have too.

Reliable street accesories are nice. I don't much like riding home in the dark. Plus the freak who did my inspection insisted even my horn work......

Last of all it's got a fan. I ride on the street all year round here, and I don't think an E would like the four light wait at 105 degrees. I didn't but the S didn't mind.

If none of the above matter and you need all the horsepower you can get. Buy an XR650R. :banghead:

My 2 cents.

You guys shouldn't complain about the seat so much. Its not that bad...... Try riding a KTM for 30 minutes. You will want to get back on that lounge chair DRZ.?

:banghead: What are you talking about ? :busted:

Yeah, The KTM has a plank of wood with a plastic skin.

The DRZ was a bit stiff at first,but has broken in nicely. :banghead:

I wouldn't get either DRZ if you can easily plate a ds-kitted bike in your area.

I've got my eye on a KTM 450EXC that's been sitting on the floor of a new KTM dealer in my area. They've already dropped the price by a grand. I may wait until mid-winter to see if I can get it for cost.

It's easy to plate an offroad bike here. And I'm thinkin' a KTM 450EXC would make a pretty nice dualsport ride, don't you think? But in the back of my mind I wonder if I'll miss the DRZ's low maintenance and reliability. But with a new bike under me, that has 50 hp and weighs 250 pounds, probably not.

I just got home from the dealership. I picked up a 2006 DRZ400 S. I would have gotten the E, but apparently it isn't easy to plate one here. I haven't even ridden it yet, I had a freind with a truck help me bring it home and help me put it in the garage. There is sits....waiting until my wife comes home and opens the garage door. She's in for a surprise! We have been married for 14 years and I haven't had a bike the whole time. I think she'll be shocked :banghead:

I've got my eye on a KTM 450EXC that's been sitting on the floor of a new KTM dealer in my area. They've already dropped the price by a grand. I may wait until mid-winter to see if I can get it for cost.

It's easy to plate an offroad bike here. And I'm thinkin' a KTM 450EXC would make a pretty nice dualsport ride, don't you think? But in the back of my mind I wonder if I'll miss the DRZ's low maintenance and reliability. But with a new bike under me, that has 50 hp and weighs 250 pounds, probably not.

Hehe. I hear that. Man I wish I could plate a bike here :banghead:

I play on a pretty hammered KX125 sometimes, and often find myself dreaming of moto-weight with DRZ reliabilty.....