Sign in to follow this  

Import a jpeg file into a GPS??

Can it be done? If so which model of GPS?

I have a really good trail map that is in jpeg format, and would like to import it into a gps (of which I'm in the market for)

Anyone?

Best bet is to buy a gps that allows downloadable topo maps. garmin makes the best hand held gps and their topo program is decentIMG_0460.JPG

Best bet is to buy a gps that allows downloadable topo maps. garmin makes the best hand held gps and their topo program is decentIMG_0460.JPG

The thing is I have my own topo map. And I want to import it. Can I??

Its not a program its a jpeg file... a map and I dont own a gps yet.. I want to buy one that will let me import a jpeg file or bit map or something.

BTW thanks for the slam about my bike in the canyon!! :banghead:

You didnt find that gps in Sagus did you? It looks like the one I lost off the hood of my wifes car.

if you had the gps in the canyon you might have been able to to find an easier way out. Just kidding, that sucks. You will not be able to import the jpeg onto the gps. The information the gps needs isnt in an image.

This gps has garmin computer software that i upload to the unit. I can pick routes, waypoints, areas from this software and put it to the gps but a picture wouldnt work.

Here is what the program looks like before i upload it. It is very deatailed

strawberry.JPG

I dont think GPSs work with data in a jpeg format. I mean how is the unit going to apply your position to a jpeg image. Imagine the scenario if I uploaded a picture of my butt. To the gps this would be just another topographical image. How would it know your position was 1 foot from my left cheek? :banghead:

:banghead:

if you had the gps in the canyon you might have been able to to find an easier way out. Just kidding, that sucks. You will not be able to import the jpeg onto the gps. The information the gps needs isnt in an image.

This gps has garmin computer software that i upload to the unit. I can pick routes, waypoints, areas from this software and put it to the gps but a picture wouldnt work.

Here is what the program looks like before i upload it. It is very deatailed

strawberry.JPG

What is the program called. And can you modify it in your PC or something?

For instance draw trails ontop of the topo map? Did you draw those red lines on the program or did it come that way? can I make my own topo program?

Try Track Maker (www.gpstm.com). You should be able to bring a jpeg into it, and then use the map adjust tool on the upper toolbar to enter lat/long for a couple points to orient the map. It's compatable with most major GPS brands. Hope it works for you.

Try Track Maker (www.gpstm.com). You should be able to bring a jpeg into it, and then use the map adjust tool on the upper toolbar to enter lat/long for a couple points to orient the map. It's compatable with most major GPS brands. Hope it works for you.

Dude thats Awsome!!

I'll try it.

Thanks!!

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I haven't messed with it too much because I'm still using an old Garmin GPS12, but I did take a satellite pic of the local state forrest and peice together a trail map from their basic map and some of the gps logs that were posted in the midwest section. Pretty cool stuff and I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface.

http://arcweb.esri.com/sc/viewer/index.html - my personal fav for sat pics.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I haven't messed with it too much because I'm still using an old Garmin GPS12, but I did take a satellite pic of the local state forrest and peice together a trail map from their basic map and some of the gps logs that were posted in the midwest section. Pretty cool stuff and I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface.

http://arcweb.esri.com/sc/viewer/index.html - my personal fav for sat pics.

So you think the new Garmin Rhino 530 walkie talkie would work?

you can do it with a program called ArcGIS, too (but it's not free :mad: ). It's the mapping program that I use at work all the time, it's pretty easy to do (if you know how to!) It's the same basic way Heavy_G was talking about, but a lot more advanced.

What kind of image are we talking about? I've made georeferenced maps of trails before (like the trail maps you find online for Foresthill), but then I use detailed USGS topo maps and my own trail markers. It turned out pretty sweet! But I've never tried putting an image like that on a GPS, my GPS unit won't handle it so I never tried...