Sign in to follow this  

fast help with gearing on my 125

i got a 01 rm125 with reeds and a silencer. and i need alot more bottom end for the tracks i ride, right now im stock gearing 12/49?? i know its a 49 in the rear correct me if im worng on the front. but i got like no bottom end(having to work the hell out of my clutch), i try to ride the track we got in my buddy back yard and theres a double as soon as you some out of a flat turn( its in woods so i really jus cant go wider or anything) so there no berm i can rail and im trying to keep my bike in 3rd the hole track, so i go to do the double for the first time and jus make it, my bike bogged a little bit, so i went around to do it again and messed up clutching my bike and bogged right before the jump, cased it, landed on my skidplate, came to a dead stop, and pull one of there deals were you rail your nuts on your seat(yeah i kno all about it) well my question is what gearing should i do, i see rental has the "works" package that comes with a 12/51 and was wondering if that would be good enough, i dont want something to high becuase i ride pits too.

im any open book on any suggestions, thanks.

To be honest, you can't ride a 125 the way you are trying. You have to work the gear box and use a lot of clutch to keep it on the pipe. Putting a bike in 1 gear and riding the whole track is the stuff of 450s. But if you want to change your gearing around, I'd go bigger 2-3 teeth on the rear. If 12/49 is stock, then the Renthal 12/51 package is what you want. Also, if 12 is the stock front, you really don't want to go any smaller there so going bigger on the rear is your only option.

yeah i ride 2-3 gear in tighter tracks, and maybe 4th if there is a straight away, the 125's dont have the power to pull outta berms and hit jumps in second like 250-450s do so just shift. btw i own a 2000 yz 125, and im 240lbs if i can clear the jumps by shifting im sure u can

im pretty sure im riding the bike right, matter afact i know i em. anywhere else i can stay on the pipe the whole time its jus this one turn on our track is flat and the jump is right out of it, like your not even straightened out yet, but yeah i jus got in from riding it and my buddys with his quad built up a little berm so i was able to stay on it easier, before the rear tire would kick out or it would bog on me, cuz im trying to straighten out for the turn, iunno its real tight, id have to get a pic of it for yous to understand.

yes i can ride my bike, i have a few buddys that ride 250f and race and do very well and i can keep up with them on a track so im sure i can ride my own bike. why keep goin back and forth from 2 to 3 when you can clutch the hell out of it in 3rd and be wayyy faster. i wanted to see what worked best on the race track at English town and its definitly wayy faster jus to clutch it then to shift back and forth. i mean yeah on straights and shit i have to shift up, but i go into a turn in one gear and come out of a turn in one gear, and this double at my friends house is literally on the tight turn in woods.

yes i can ride my bike, i have a few buddys that ride 250f and race and do very well and i can keep up with them on a track so im sure i can ride my own bike. why keep goin back and forth from 2 to 3 when you can clutch the hell out of it in 3rd and be wayyy faster. i wanted to see what worked best on the race track at English town and its definitly wayy faster jus to clutch it then to shift back and forth. i mean yeah on straights and shit i have to shift up, but i go into a turn in one gear and come out of a turn in one gear, and this double at my friends house is literally on the tight turn in woods.

yeah, yeah, yeah, and um, this one time, i passed a 450 on my ttr-125. the guy was good tho, he wins races :banghead:

there is a shift lever on your bike, USE it. MAYBE if you had a bike with a 5 speed gearbox, maybe if you could carry you could do that turn in 3rd, but most likely not, especially with 6 speeds

yea thats what i do, but some turns are too tight for a 3rd gear entry/exit so i shift down for hairpins and stuff. i c what u meant just the flat turn and u couldnt take it at speed.

i dont think they make a 11 tooth for the front but the deal is on tooth in the front makes 3 teeth in the rear so if ya got a 3 tooth bigger in the rear you would have alot more low grearing ya might just go 2 teeth in the rear bigger

you can get speed up alot quicker going round the corner in first or second gear while in the powerband than 1/4 throttle in third. try going around in second and if you cant get the powerband then pop the clutch right at the end of the turn, youll slide, but with good balance you can come out of the turn. I'm 13 on a 97 rm125 and at the track i race at i go around a turn going left with it slanting down to the right lol. but keep practicing going round that turn going faster and faster each time.

drop it into second

guys i ride with say they need 4th gear to do this big 90ft triple.

i go out, hold it pinned in 3rd and boom, i do it.

same gearing and all.

rev that 125, thats what its made for.

Charge into that corner, clutch it around the corner pinned, drop the clutch and blast out.

im pretty sure im riding the bike right, matter afact i know i em. anywhere else i can stay on the pipe the whole time its jus this one turn on our track is flat and the jump is right out of it, like your not even straightened out yet, but yeah i jus got in from riding it and my buddys with his quad built up a little berm so i was able to stay on it easier, before the rear tire would kick out or it would bog on me, cuz im trying to straighten out for the turn, iunno its real tight, id have to get a pic of it for yous to understand.

how about this, shift to second in this corner and do the double in second and click 3rd in the air? or rail in second all the way to the lip and click 3rd going up it? :banghead: pingers are meant to be shifted, not rode in one gear. if you wanna do that get a 4 stroke.if shifting down once is that big of a problem u should just stay home and finger yourself.

yea i know how to ride my bike. its wayy faster to clutch the hell out of it then to keep shift from 2 to 3 all the time. the doubles right on the turn, prolly a bike length and half all the way wide as you can go. i was riding it yesterday and my buddy had a berm goin with his quad so it was alot better, i ride race tracks also, i know whats faster. if you clutch the shit outa your bike you dont waste time shifting and keep the revs up in the rpm were all the powers at with 125s