What gearing for mud and steep hills?

I am installing the hot cam this week. All mods are done with the addition of the hot cam. I am confused on how I should set up the gearing. I see it is popular to go with 13/53 but I would think that would be too much for the mud. I think it might be great on the steep hills but I need both. I weigh 210lbs. I also cannot figure out what is means when it is said 13/49 is the same as 14/53. There must be a difference.

Can anyone suggest the best setup to start for single-track, mud, and steep hills and take advantage of the hot cam stage 1 mud buster. It is a low to mid range cam. See all mods below. 250X

mud and hills or mud or hills bc theres two different gear setups there but for both just bump up the rear till it works for you the counter at stock will be good unless your weight to power is is bad find someone with the big stack of rears and ask them to help you gear up I think you will be surprised how many people will help out then go buy what works

I have tried 12/53, 13/53 and 14/53(stock) and preffer the stock gearing so I'm gonna stick with that. I ride mostly single track with some hill climbs here and there.

......and the bike just sounds happier with stock gearing. :banghead:

Ditto for me.

I have an 04 250X and it really needs a 6th gear. I finally put a 13 on the front 13/53 and it works fine for really tight and steep single track. Now top speed, that was a little slow before, is pretty bad. Also, you spend a lto of time shifting; however, no boil overs and stalls. The XR250 that it replaced worked fine on the same trail, go figure.

If you are around 200lbs as I am I would leave it with the stock gearing 14/53 from first hand exp. The only way I would move off that gearing is if my weight to power ratio went higher than 210lbs then I would try the 13/50-53 or go to the TR 270 kit as I did.