Sign in to follow this  

freakin clutch adjustment

I need help here. I'm having the same problem as many others finding 1'st gear, at a stop light. it seems that if i adjust the cable looser a little, it helps but it comes and goes and is starting to annoy the piss out of me. I even tried adjusting the clamp on the shaft (gearcase and it seemed to make it a little better,) any help would be greatly appreciated. If i rock it a little i can get it in gear, or slip the clutch. I have no problem finding first, if i downshift while rolling to a stop,and not stopped.

, thanks

mike

05 dr650

disgusted that i'm having these problems with a new bike

I always put perssure on the shifter and let the clutch out alittle and it drops into first every time. :banghead:

I don't have any recommendations for you but i have the same problem with mine. I'm pretty sure that one of the culprits is grooved clutch baskets where the plates ride. This doesn't allow for the best clutch disengagement. I sometimes have to do the roll backwards at a light to get mine into first. Does any company make a billet clutch basket for the 650, doubt it. Of course clutching up wheelies doesn't help my case much. Forgot to mention, properly adjusted chain/lubed seems to help a lot also.

+1 for chain adjustment. My clutch/neutral aggravations are always worse when I'm lazy and decide to go for "one more ride" before getting a little greasy.

You might not want hear this answer, but only this past week i swapped out a notched up clutch hub or "inner"for my DR 650. the plates were all fine, the basket or "outter" was acceptable, but it did remedy my neutral search concern. I too had the hunt for N whilst stopped. I considered the " it hurts when I do this Doc.. ...So, dont do that Doc says", but a bike so new should not do such. I'm sure the argument against wheelies is valid here, but 'cmon.

anyway that was the fix in this instance.

-pc