Sign in to follow this  

Maier Plastics Question (Kind Of Mad)?????!!!!!!!

Question: Has anyone had any problems with the plastics they bought from Maier. :banghead:

Reason: I am on my 3rd set of shrouds from them. THe little tabs taht the snaps go through to hold the shroud keeps brakin. The first time it was the left rear tab, I guess from grippin the tank. We called maier and they were like alright, send it in and the tab and we will reweld them on for you, We sent them in and got them back in like a week.🤣 Was very happy with how fast they worked, And it looked like it was welded better. So i put them on and go for the next ride. The second brake is from the AX, The front tab on the right broke, Im not sure from what, I fell but my bike was on the left, it never hit the right. Well we call Maier again and told them that the right side broke, Well they say Ok, we'll just give u another set since those may have somethin wrong with them. So they send us a new set and i get them last Thursday i think. So i put them on and go to the race on sunday. I raced 85TT, 85MX, 125 Beg. , and Mini 4-stroke. Not once did i wreck at all. And the right rear tab broke, i think its from grippin my bike and my boot probly caught it. I havnt called maier yet about this one but im mad cause this is the third time this has happened. :banghead:🤣🤣

First you have to understand that Maier doesn’t make the plastic to the quality level of Factory. Then take into consideration even though you never went down during racing you are stressing everything pretty hard. Knees into the tank, bumping other riders.

I can understand your position, I thought it was WAY cool of them to weld it back. What you are asking of them is a pretty good stretch. They are the only people making the plastic so they kinda have the market cornered. Stock or them.

Good luck with that.

You could try "bracing or reinforcing" the tabs with an Epoxy that is Plastic-safe...or even better, shred some coarse fiberglass mat and whip up your resin and catalyst and apply them to the tabs. Do like 2 or 3 layers. Thats what I did on my Black Plastic from Maier cause the looked chensy. Good Luck!

J2

First you have to understand that Maier doesn’t make the plastic to the quality level of Factory. Then take into consideration even though you never went down during racing you are stressing everything pretty hard. Knees into the tank, bumping other riders.

I can understand your position, I thought it was WAY cool of them to weld it back. What you are asking of them is a pretty good stretch. They are the only people making the plastic so they kinda have the market cornered. Stock or them.

Good luck with that.

Yea, i understand that, And i was happy that they welded it back and got it back so fast for me, I thought it was awsome. And to give me a new set since they broke again. I was jut mad cause it did it 3 times. Ill try the apoxy thing and hope that helps. They are real nice, Just need to work on attachin them better.

Well, if they modeled them after the factory they will keep breaking. I've gone to just running a zip tie through a hole I made in the shroud to keep them in place. We aren't hard on the bike an those front tabs broke off very easily in my opinion.

I've gone to just running a zip tie through a hole I made in the shroud to keep them in place.

Same here.. right rear side of shroud. Drilled two holes, then zip tied to the mount.

Ahh well... took 2 1/2 years to break, so no biggie.

:banghead:

i would say order new ones from honda but you have black and white plastics ryan so yea you gotta stick with them...maybe you could reinforace those pins or w/e they are...try like hot glue around them to give them a lil more strength..its worth a shot

I've tried hot glue and epoxy. With all the vibrations nuthin' works.

The zip tie works great, so no changing the shrouds until it's time to sell.

:banghead: