Sign in to follow this  

06 Jetting

I've now raced my 06 two times and each was a different experience.

When I first got the bike it seemed to be blowing a little bit of black carbon out the tail pipe so I changed the jetting down to a 175 main. Rode it some more and decided the pilot needed changing instead so I change the pilot jet to a 45 and main back the stock 180. The bike ran strong and kicked straight over every time. Oh ya, I'm running a 04-05 WB CF pipe.

My first race it was mid 70's and the bike peformed great. No issues with starting, stalling, back firing. She was running perfectly.

My second race, much different. It was high 50's because a cold front had moved in and it trying to sprinkle just a bit. During practice the bike would run for about 50 yards, then sputter, another 50 yards then sputter. It dangerous for sure. So I pulled off without even finishing the lap to check things out. I was low on gas but not empty. I know that with lower tempurature you can run a larger main because there's more air available, but I was hesitant to go up because my 04 had been running PC specs which was 172 main, 42 pilot (I think) When I spoke to two differnt folks (1 running 06 Suzuki and the other 06 Kawi) they gave me different information! One said go higher main, the other go lower main. I decided to go with my knowledge and bump up the main and went to a 185. But now it was boggy off the bottom. So I changed the pilot back to stock (40). It ran clean and didn't exhbit any running problems.

Epilog: :banghead:

Maybe the jetting did help, maybe being low on gas was the real cause and I get dork points for not checking that first! All I know it, I'm spending my next practice day and getting my bike jetted right and of course bring my own jets to the track next time!

From my experience in the last couple weeks: 42 pilot for >75 degrees at S.L. & 45 pilot for <75 degrees at S.L. Also about 60% humidity. Temps around here haven't dropped below 70 yet. Adjust fuel screw everytime the weather changes.

What exactly is that black smoke that comes out the exhaust? mine only does right when i start the bike for the first ride of the day. Also what does the popping mean? to lean or rich? it seems like its the only flaw right now on the 06's and everyone's trying to firgure out there jetting. And i also want to figure this out.

The owners manual suggest that the bike is too rich if some black smoke come out of the tail pipe, that's why I first went down in the main yet. Some folks are just running really lean like with my 04 using the PC specs 172 main 42 pilot.

In the midwest, the weather is 55-65 degrees. My 2006 KXF250 had a bog at low RPM and also popped. My experience has been that a pop is from a lean condition.

My bike runs perfect now. I bumped the main to a 182, the pilot to a 45 and raised the needle one position. I also added a Boyseen Quickshot.

To protect the motor, rich is better than lean. I wonder if folks running these too lean speeds up the valve wear and tear?

From my experience in the last couple weeks: 42 pilot for >75 degrees at S.L. & 45 pilot for <75 degrees at S.L. Also about 60% humidity. Temps around here haven't dropped below 70 yet. Adjust fuel screw everytime the weather changes.

where in tennessee are you, west?