Sign in to follow this  

TTR90: need help

I got my son a TTR90 last Jan. In Feb we had a problem with it starting. I thought it may simply be because it was cold. Since then, no problem. That is until this weekend. It has been about a month since he rode it (no time with baseball). It would not start. I thought it was warm enough outside. We had no luck in 1/2 or full choke. It would start and run for about 5 sec and then die. I think we may have flooded it trying to start it. So we left it for an hour or so. Finally, I got it to start. It sounded like the idle was higher than normal in N. Once my son kicked it into first, the bike took off. At first I thought he had the throttle slightly twisted. But he didn't. As of yesterday when you kick his 90 into gear, it takes off. And when you put it into N, the idle sounds too high.

I am a newbie when it comes to working on bikes. So at first I thought I might should take it to the shop. But I figured, someone on here might have some words of wisdom.

Do you think the throttle needs adjusting? If so, how do I do that: with the thumb screw on the throttle. Also, why would it be so hard to start. We take good care of it. He hasn't ridden in a month, but the gas is newer than that. It is stored in a garage. During the summer it started fine.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. I am sorry this is so long, but I felt terrible that my little man didn't get to ride this weekend.

Thanks,

Bryan

Probably stale gas and plugged jets. If it ran fine before then there is no need to change or ajust things. Take the carb apart and blow the jets out with compressed air, put fresh gas in the tank and also try getting a new sparkplug.

^^ ditto what hondablows says. No need to rejet from stock jetting, just clean the carb, jets and AIR FILTER.

I'll try to clean out the carb. But what about the bike moving when in gear and no throttle being applied. :banghead:

Do you think the throttle simply needs to be adjusted. If so, I wonder why. My son hasn't abused it or anything.

Thanks for the help.

The stale gas may be making the bike idle high so it will move in gear. Do what I said before and see if you still have a problem, if you do try turning down your idle.

I'll try to clean out the carb. But what about the bike moving when in gear and no throttle being applied. :banghead:

Do you think the throttle simply needs to be adjusted. If so, I wonder why. My son hasn't abused it or anything.

Thanks for the help.

Make sure your choke isn't stuck on. Just 'cuz the lever is down dosn't mean it's off. Make sure that when the lever's down, that it's pulled in tight to its base. Ours sticks all the time... When you turn it off, just push in on it where it pivots.

Make sure your choke isn't stuck on. Just 'cuz the lever is down dosn't mean it's off. Make sure that when the lever's down, that it's pulled in tight to its base. Ours sticks all the time... When you turn it off, just push in on it where it pivots.

You know, I did not check that, but it seems to me that with the choke on, and the throttle not turned that it would sit there as if it was in N. I do remember the dealer telling me about the choke sticking. I am also going to go ahead and look at the card too.

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

the gas should not be stale if it's only a month old. Gasoline can sit for about 6 months before it gets bad.

But i agree. It sounds to me like the choke is stuck on. What you are describing is what my ttr90, along with other ttr90's, does when the choke is on and you put it into gear. Do what RyanK said to do